Programs to Become an RN in Florida
Registered Nurses (RN) are in great demand throughout the country and Florida is no exception. Nursing is a very challenging career and qualified RNs will find a variety of nursing employment options, as well as advancement opportunities. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts nursing opportunities will increase by 18% through the year 2018.
The Florida Board of Nursing (FBON) regulates the nursing industry in the state including approving nursing programs, licensing and license renewals of all nurses, and set policies to assure the general public medical facilities and nurses are employing the latest best management nursing practices.
RN candidates are required to complete an approved nursing program at an accredited college or university and earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing (ASN). Such a program takes about two years to complete and students are qualified to take the state mandated National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Some students use an ASN program as a stepping stone to a Bachelors or Master degree program in nursing. This allows students to work as an RN while completing work for the higher degrees. An approved nursing program will include class work and clinical training.
The requirements to take the NCLEX-RN are to hold a high school diploma and complete an approved nursing program. The RN candidate must be in good physical and mental health and submit to a criminal background check, including a fingerprint card, with no criminal history as a result. RN candidates must also have the ability to communicate in English, which may be determined by examination.
Upon graduation, grads are required to apply to the FBON to take the NCLEX-RN and register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The board will review the application and when approved, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). Once the applicant has an ATT, they are free to schedule a date to take the exam. Applicants have 90 days from the issuance of the ATT to take the exam. Applicants will be notified via email of pass or fail. If the applicant passes the exam, a license will be issued in about three weeks. Potential employers will be able to verify an RN license online before the RN receives their actual license. If the applicant does not pass the exam, they will receive an application and instructions to retake the exam. If the applicant does not pass the exam in three attempts, the applicant will be required to complete an approved nursing remedial program. An RN cannot practice nursing without a license.
Florida RNs are required to renew their license every two years. RNs renew their license according to the group they are assigned when first licensed. RNs are also required to complete 24 hours of approved continuing education hours every renewal period. Every third renewal period RNs must also complete an addition two hours of approved continuing education hours in domestic violence for a total of 26 hours.
The average salary for RNs in Florida is $62,000 annually. The starting salary for entry level RN’s is $42,000 and RNs who rise to positions of responsibility may top out at $130,000. Actual salary depends on several factors, including geographic location, level of education, level of responsibility assumed and nursing specialty, if any.
RNs perform a variety of duties and include dispensing medication, dressing wounds, performing emergency procedures, evaluation patients and establishing care plans and helping patients and families to understand the medical condition and treatment.
RN Training Schools in Florida
- Nursing RN
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- Associate of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing
- And more...
Get personalized attention at UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at ultimatemedical.edu/gainful-employment.pdf and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement and occupations.
- Nursing Assistant
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)