Programs to Become an RN in Georgia
Nursing is a very challenging, but rewarding program for the right person. The right person is one who has the patience, stamina and compassion to take care of ill or injured patients no matter their age or level of illness or injury.
The Georgia Board of Nursing (GBON) regulates the field of nursing including setting healthcare policies and issuing, renewing and monitoring RN licenses. The GBON also approves nursing programs and students must complete an approved program in order to qualify to sit for the National Council for Licensure Examination for RNs (NCLEX-RN). Nursing students must also earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree to test, as well. Nursing programs must include class work and clinical training.
RNs are required to take the NCLEX-RN Graduates apply to take the exam through the Georgia Board of Nursing (GBON) and then register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The GBON will review and approve the application if all information is in place and notify Pearson VUE of the approval. Pearson VUE will notify the applicant and issue an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant will then have 90 days to schedule and take the exam. If the exam is not taken within the allotted time, the process will begin again. On the day of the exam, the applicant must present the ATT and identification in order to be admitted to the exam site. The GBON will notify applicants of the exam results in approximately four weeks following the exam and issue those who pass an RN license number.
All RN licenses in the state of Georgia expire on 31 January of the even year. All renewal documents must be postmarked no later than 31 January of the renewal year. Any renewal information received after 31 January will not be reviewed and the license will be considered lapsed. The RN will have to complete the reinstatement process. Effective in January 2016, RN’s will be required to complete continuing education hours. There will be five options for the RN to choose from and they include 30 hours of continuing education hours approved by the GBON, maintain a certification or recertification by a national body, complete an accredited academic program, competency verification by a health care facility or graduate from a nursing program or complete entry program approved by the GBON.
The average RN salary in Georgia is $76,000 annually. An entry level RN just out of nursing school can expect to earn about $44,000. Nurses who reach supervisory status or those with advanced nursing degrees may earn an annual salary as high as $115,000. The actual salary will vary depending on geographic location, level of responsibility and years of service.
RNs will find challenging work no matter where employed and some of the employment opportunities include hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, blood collection entities, vacation and travel clubs, correctional facilities, occupational facilities and schools. RNs will undertake a variety of tasks including dressing wounds, changing dressings, performing emergency treatment, perform diagnostic testing, developing patient care plans and monitor patient progress.
RN Training Schools in Georgia
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner Specialization (RN-MSN)
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration