Programs to Become an RN in Georgia
Nursing is a very challenging, but rewarding program for the right person. The right person is one who has the patience, stamina and compassion to take care of ill or injured patients no matter their age or level of illness or injury.
The Georgia Board of Nursing (GBON) regulates the field of nursing including setting healthcare policies and issuing, renewing and monitoring RN licenses. The GBON also approves nursing programs and students must complete an approved program in order to qualify to sit for the National Council for Licensure Examination for RNs (NCLEX-RN). Nursing students must also earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree to test, as well. Nursing programs must include class work and clinical training.
RNs are required to take the NCLEX-RN Graduates apply to take the exam through the Georgia Board of Nursing (GBON) and then register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The GBON will review and approve the application if all information is in place and notify Pearson VUE of the approval. Pearson VUE will notify the applicant and issue an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant will then have 90 days to schedule and take the exam. If the exam is not taken within the allotted time, the process will begin again. On the day of the exam, the applicant must present the ATT and identification in order to be admitted to the exam site. The GBON will notify applicants of the exam results in approximately four weeks following the exam and issue those who pass an RN license number.
All RN licenses in the state of Georgia expire on 31 January of the even year. All renewal documents must be postmarked no later than 31 January of the renewal year. Any renewal information received after 31 January will not be reviewed and the license will be considered lapsed. The RN will have to complete the reinstatement process. Effective in January 2016, RN’s will be required to complete continuing education hours. There will be five options for the RN to choose from and they include 30 hours of continuing education hours approved by the GBON, maintain a certification or recertification by a national body, complete an accredited academic program, competency verification by a health care facility or graduate from a nursing program or complete entry program approved by the GBON.
The average RN salary in Georgia is $76,000 annually. An entry level RN just out of nursing school can expect to earn about $44,000. Nurses who reach supervisory status or those with advanced nursing degrees may earn an annual salary as high as $115,000. The actual salary will vary depending on geographic location, level of responsibility and years of service.
RNs will find challenging work no matter where employed and some of the employment opportunities include hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, blood collection entities, vacation and travel clubs, correctional facilities, occupational facilities and schools. RNs will undertake a variety of tasks including dressing wounds, changing dressings, performing emergency treatment, perform diagnostic testing, developing patient care plans and monitor patient progress.
RN Training Schools in Georgia
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education