How to Become a Registered Nurse in Hawaii
Qualified registered nurses (RN) are much in demand in Hawaii. As healthcare options expand and medical technology, equipment and medication improves and the population lives longer, nursing opportunities will become greater.
RN salaries vary according to geographic location, level of responsibility, years of education and longevity on the job. The average salary is $56,000 and the entry level salary for a just graduated and newly licensed RN is $48,000. In major cities such as Honolulu, the average salary is $86,000 annually and the entry level salary is $59,000 annually. Nurses can maximize salaries by obtaining additional certifications, complete programs for Master and Doctorate degrees in nursing and assuming a high level of responsibility.
Nurses are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree by completing a nursing program approved by the Hawaii Board of Nursing (HBON) in order to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The program must include class work and clinical training. An Associate’s degree can usually be completed in two years of full time study. Many nursing students opt to shoot for a Bachelor’s degree, which takes about four years of fulltime study. RNs with Bachelor degrees will often find higher level opportunities with slightly better salary than RNs with an Associate’s degree.
Two weeks prior to graduation, students should submit an application to take the NCLEX-RN to the HBON with the appropriate fee. The application can be sent postal mail or delivered personally to the office of the HBON. Students must also request the nursing program they attended submit their transcript and degree earned to the HBON. As soon as the HBON reviews the application to test, the applicant will be notified along with the information necessary to register with Pearson VUE to take the NCLEX-RN. The applicant will also receive an authorization to test and then schedule the date and time to take the exam. When arriving for the exam, applicants will have to provide the ATT, identification and provide a signature, palm scan, fingerprint and take a picture. Results will be mailed to the applicant two weeks after taking the exam. Upon passing the exam, the newly licensed RN will be required to pay a license fee.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years during the odd year. All licenses expire on 30 June, but all renewals must be received by the HBOB by 30 May. Renewal applications not received by the end of May will result in the expiration of the license and the applicant will have to renew their license using the expired license procedure. An additional fee, along with the renewal fee will be assessed.
Nursing opportunities are almost limitless and include employment in hospitals and nursing homes, occupational healthcare centers, blood collection agencies, travel clubs, assisted care facilities, clinics, doctor’s office, insurance companies and nurse help call centers.
RN duties vary according to facility where employed, but typical RN duties include dressing wounds and changing dressings, performing emergency tasks, assisting doctors, preparing patient care plans, supervising the nursing staff including nursing assistants, tracking vital signs and monitoring patient progress.
RN Nursing Schools in Hawaii
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...