How to Become a Registered Nurse in Idaho
Nursing is one of the very few careers that does not fall victim to economic downturns like other careers. The field of nursing is strong and will continue to grow by 18 to 20% through the year 2020. Continued growth is due to advancement in medical technology, increased health care options and longevity. Nursing is very challenging, but it is also very rewarding for those who like challenge and have the desire to take care of people.
The Idaho Board of Nursing (IBON) requires nurses to earn at least an Associate’s degree at an accredited college or university in a IBON approved nursing program. Students who earn a Bachelors degree may find more entry level nursing opportunities than a student with an Associate’s degree. Approved nursing programs will include class work and clinical training.
Nursing school graduates are required to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Graduates must apply to the IBON to take the exam and register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The application to the IBON includes a 2”x2” passport type photograph, an affidavit of graduation, census questionnaire form and a fingerprint card for a fingerprint based criminal background check. The application to test must be notarized and will not be accepted by fax nor will photocopies of the application be accepted. After the nursing board approves the application, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT) and with the ATT can schedule the NCLEX-RN. Exam results will be mailed to the graduates about 10 days after the exam.
Graduates may also apply for a temporary nursing license, valid for 90 days, to allow them to work while in the exam process. Idaho is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact. That means, nurses must take the NCLEX-RN in their own, declared home state, but have the ability to practice nursing in other Compact states without going through the licensing procedures for that state.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years in the odd numbered years and all licenses expire on 31 August. Licenses may be renewed online up to three months prior to expiration and up to one year after expiration. If a license is expired beyond a year, the nurse must apply for license reinstatement.
RN’s in Idaho earn an average salary of $59,000 annually. An entry level RN can expect to make about $42,000 annually and the average high salary is about $110,000. Actual salary will depend on geographic location, type of facility where employed, level of education, level of responsibility assumed and years on the job.
RNs perform a variety of duties including performing emergency procedures, dressing wounds and changing dressings, monitoring patient’s progress, performing diagnostic tests, establishing, implementing and monitoring patient care plans and assisting doctors with medical procedures.
The opportunities for nursing positions are many and varied and include hospitals, assisted care facilities and nursing homes, educational and government facilities, seasonal vacation opportunities, occupation healthcare facilities, rehabilitative facilities and private duty assignments.
RN Nursing Schools in Idaho
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online