How to Become a Registered Nurse in Idaho
Nursing is one of the very few careers that does not fall victim to economic downturns like other careers. The field of nursing is strong and will continue to grow by 18 to 20% through the year 2020. Continued growth is due to advancement in medical technology, increased health care options and longevity. Nursing is very challenging, but it is also very rewarding for those who like challenge and have the desire to take care of people.
The Idaho Board of Nursing (IBON) requires nurses to earn at least an Associate’s degree at an accredited college or university in a IBON approved nursing program. Students who earn a Bachelors degree may find more entry level nursing opportunities than a student with an Associate’s degree. Approved nursing programs will include class work and clinical training.
Nursing school graduates are required to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Graduates must apply to the IBON to take the exam and register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The application to the IBON includes a 2”x2” passport type photograph, an affidavit of graduation, census questionnaire form and a fingerprint card for a fingerprint based criminal background check. The application to test must be notarized and will not be accepted by fax nor will photocopies of the application be accepted. After the nursing board approves the application, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT) and with the ATT can schedule the NCLEX-RN. Exam results will be mailed to the graduates about 10 days after the exam.
Graduates may also apply for a temporary nursing license, valid for 90 days, to allow them to work while in the exam process. Idaho is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact. That means, nurses must take the NCLEX-RN in their own, declared home state, but have the ability to practice nursing in other Compact states without going through the licensing procedures for that state.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years in the odd numbered years and all licenses expire on 31 August. Licenses may be renewed online up to three months prior to expiration and up to one year after expiration. If a license is expired beyond a year, the nurse must apply for license reinstatement.
RN’s in Idaho earn an average salary of $59,000 annually. An entry level RN can expect to make about $42,000 annually and the average high salary is about $110,000. Actual salary will depend on geographic location, type of facility where employed, level of education, level of responsibility assumed and years on the job.
RNs perform a variety of duties including performing emergency procedures, dressing wounds and changing dressings, monitoring patient’s progress, performing diagnostic tests, establishing, implementing and monitoring patient care plans and assisting doctors with medical procedures.
The opportunities for nursing positions are many and varied and include hospitals, assisted care facilities and nursing homes, educational and government facilities, seasonal vacation opportunities, occupation healthcare facilities, rehabilitative facilities and private duty assignments.
RN Nursing Schools in Idaho
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Healthcare Administration (BS)
- Nursing Education (AD)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...