How to Become a Registered Nurse in Illinois
The Illinois Board of Nursing (IBON) regulates the licensing process in the state. The board sets policy and adapts regulations and continually monitors the field of nursing and identifies areas where improvements can be made. The ultimate goal is to provide the best possible nursing care for patients.
The field of nursing continues to grow and remains a strong employment prospect. Nursing opportunities will increase by 18 to 20% through the year 2020. As healthcare options expand, nursing opportunities will increase.
The IBON requires nurses to be licensed and candidates must meet certain educational requirements to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Nursing candidates are required to earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree in nursing from an accredited school of nursing and approved by the IBON. An Associate degree program typically takes two years to complete.
Once the nursing candidate completes an approved nursing program, the next step is to take the NCLEX-RN. Candidates must submit an application to the IBON to take the exam and then register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The application to test includes a criminal background check, a fingerprint card and documentation of education. Graduates have three years to take the NCLEX-RN, and the clock starts ticking once the application is received by the IBON. Graduate nurses are not allowed to practice nursing until the exam is passed and the IBON issues an RN license. Once the application to test has been approved by the IBON, the applicant can schedule the exam with Pearson VUE.
RNs in Illinois are required to renew their license every two years. Beginning with license renewals in 2012, RNs are now required to complete 20 hours of approved continuing education hours every renewal period. RNs that hold an RN license in addition to other nursing license must renew the RN license first before renewing their other licenses.
RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, clinics, doctors office, occupational healthcare centers, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, the American Red Cross, blood banks, seasonal retreats and educational and government facilities. Experienced RNs will also find opportunities with nursing staffing companies or nursing help hot lines.
RNs undertake a variety of tasks that are challenging and often change on a daily basis. RN’s establish patient care plans, monitor a patient’s progress, dispense medication including injections, perform diagnostic testing, dress wounds and change dressings, evaluate patients conditions, answer patients questions and make sure the patient, their families and the medical staff are all on the same page. RN’s also supervise the entire nursing staff including the certified nursing assistants (CNA).
The average RN salary is $72,000. The average starting, entry level RN salary is $47,000. RNs who take on a supervisory position such as Director of Nursing or unit manager may earn a salary close to $125,000. Salary also depends on geographic location, education, area of specialty and years of experience. RNs who work in larger cities may find the salary offerings slightly higher than other parts of the state.
RN Nursing Schools in Illinois
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online