How to Become a Registered Nurse in Indiana
Becoming a registered nurse in Indiana takes dedication and compassion, but for the person looking for a challenging career path will find nursing the right fit. Nursing candidates must complete an approved nursing program and complete the national standard examination to become licensed.
Nursing programs must be approved by the Indiana Board of Nursing (IBON). Colleges and universities offering nursing programs must be accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). Nursing programs require students to be a high school graduate with a diploma or equivalent and complete a criminal background check as a requirement for admission.
Nursing candidates in Indiana must earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Graduates with a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree in nursing will most likely find more job opportunities than a graduate with an Associate’s degree. An approved nursing program will include class work and clinical training. There are online nursing programs that lead to an Associate’s degree in nursing, but they are only open to licensed practical nurses (LPN) who want to transition to RN.
Once the educational requirements have been completed, graduates are required to take the NCLEX-RN and become licensed to practice nursing in Indiana. Students are required to submit an application to test to the IBON, including a criminal background check. It takes the board approximately four weeks to process an application and an additional three weeks after the receipt of the criminal background check. The student is also required to register with Pearson VUE, the entity that administers the NCLEC-RN. There are separate fees paid to the IBON to apply to take the exam and a separate fee paid to Pearson VUE to take the exam. Once the student has received an authorization to test (ATT) the student then schedules a day and time to take the exam. On the day of the exam, the graduate must present a valid form of identification and the ATT. Results of the exam are available about four weeks after the exam.
RN licenses expire on 31 October of odd numbered years. Licenses can only be renewed 60 days prior to expiration. If licenses are expired for more than three years, the nurse will have to file for reinstatement. RNs are not required to fulfill continuing education hours as a requirement for renewal, except if a license is expired for more than three years but less than ten. RNs must then perform a total of 24 contact hours.
The average RN salary in Indiana is $62,000 annually and an entry level salary of $45,000 annually. Actual salary offered and salary increases throughout an RN career will depend on type of facility where employed, education, level of responsibility assumed and number of years on the job. RNs that assume positions of responsibility will earn more in salary than staff RNs.
RNs will find employment in a variety of areas including the private duty sector, nursing homes and hospitals, assisted care facilities and occupational healthcare centers, government and education facilities, teaching and clinics.
RN Nursing Schools in Indiana
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant - Diploma
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...