How to Become a Registered Nurse in Indiana
Becoming a registered nurse in Indiana takes dedication and compassion, but for the person looking for a challenging career path will find nursing the right fit. Nursing candidates must complete an approved nursing program and complete the national standard examination to become licensed.
Nursing programs must be approved by the Indiana Board of Nursing (IBON). Colleges and universities offering nursing programs must be accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). Nursing programs require students to be a high school graduate with a diploma or equivalent and complete a criminal background check as a requirement for admission.
Nursing candidates in Indiana must earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Graduates with a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree in nursing will most likely find more job opportunities than a graduate with an Associate’s degree. An approved nursing program will include class work and clinical training. There are online nursing programs that lead to an Associate’s degree in nursing, but they are only open to licensed practical nurses (LPN) who want to transition to RN.
Once the educational requirements have been completed, graduates are required to take the NCLEX-RN and become licensed to practice nursing in Indiana. Students are required to submit an application to test to the IBON, including a criminal background check. It takes the board approximately four weeks to process an application and an additional three weeks after the receipt of the criminal background check. The student is also required to register with Pearson VUE, the entity that administers the NCLEC-RN. There are separate fees paid to the IBON to apply to take the exam and a separate fee paid to Pearson VUE to take the exam. Once the student has received an authorization to test (ATT) the student then schedules a day and time to take the exam. On the day of the exam, the graduate must present a valid form of identification and the ATT. Results of the exam are available about four weeks after the exam.
RN licenses expire on 31 October of odd numbered years. Licenses can only be renewed 60 days prior to expiration. If licenses are expired for more than three years, the nurse will have to file for reinstatement. RNs are not required to fulfill continuing education hours as a requirement for renewal, except if a license is expired for more than three years but less than ten. RNs must then perform a total of 24 contact hours.
The average RN salary in Indiana is $62,000 annually and an entry level salary of $45,000 annually. Actual salary offered and salary increases throughout an RN career will depend on type of facility where employed, education, level of responsibility assumed and number of years on the job. RNs that assume positions of responsibility will earn more in salary than staff RNs.
RNs will find employment in a variety of areas including the private duty sector, nursing homes and hospitals, assisted care facilities and occupational healthcare centers, government and education facilities, teaching and clinics.
RN Nursing Schools in Indiana
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online