How to Become a Registered Nurse in Indiana
Becoming a registered nurse in Indiana takes dedication and compassion, but for the person looking for a challenging career path will find nursing the right fit. Nursing candidates must complete an approved nursing program and complete the national standard examination to become licensed.
Nursing programs must be approved by the Indiana Board of Nursing (IBON). Colleges and universities offering nursing programs must be accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). Nursing programs require students to be a high school graduate with a diploma or equivalent and complete a criminal background check as a requirement for admission.
Nursing candidates in Indiana must earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Graduates with a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree in nursing will most likely find more job opportunities than a graduate with an Associate’s degree. An approved nursing program will include class work and clinical training. There are online nursing programs that lead to an Associate’s degree in nursing, but they are only open to licensed practical nurses (LPN) who want to transition to RN.
Once the educational requirements have been completed, graduates are required to take the NCLEX-RN and become licensed to practice nursing in Indiana. Students are required to submit an application to test to the IBON, including a criminal background check. It takes the board approximately four weeks to process an application and an additional three weeks after the receipt of the criminal background check. The student is also required to register with Pearson VUE, the entity that administers the NCLEC-RN. There are separate fees paid to the IBON to apply to take the exam and a separate fee paid to Pearson VUE to take the exam. Once the student has received an authorization to test (ATT) the student then schedules a day and time to take the exam. On the day of the exam, the graduate must present a valid form of identification and the ATT. Results of the exam are available about four weeks after the exam.
RN licenses expire on 31 October of odd numbered years. Licenses can only be renewed 60 days prior to expiration. If licenses are expired for more than three years, the nurse will have to file for reinstatement. RNs are not required to fulfill continuing education hours as a requirement for renewal, except if a license is expired for more than three years but less than ten. RNs must then perform a total of 24 contact hours.
The average RN salary in Indiana is $62,000 annually and an entry level salary of $45,000 annually. Actual salary offered and salary increases throughout an RN career will depend on type of facility where employed, education, level of responsibility assumed and number of years on the job. RNs that assume positions of responsibility will earn more in salary than staff RNs.
RNs will find employment in a variety of areas including the private duty sector, nursing homes and hospitals, assisted care facilities and occupational healthcare centers, government and education facilities, teaching and clinics.
RN Nursing Schools in Indiana
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...