How to Become a Registered Nurse in Indiana
Becoming a registered nurse in Indiana takes dedication and compassion, but for the person looking for a challenging career path will find nursing the right fit. Nursing candidates must complete an approved nursing program and complete the national standard examination to become licensed.
Nursing programs must be approved by the Indiana Board of Nursing (IBON). Colleges and universities offering nursing programs must be accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). Nursing programs require students to be a high school graduate with a diploma or equivalent and complete a criminal background check as a requirement for admission.
Nursing candidates in Indiana must earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Graduates with a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree in nursing will most likely find more job opportunities than a graduate with an Associate’s degree. An approved nursing program will include class work and clinical training. There are online nursing programs that lead to an Associate’s degree in nursing, but they are only open to licensed practical nurses (LPN) who want to transition to RN.
Once the educational requirements have been completed, graduates are required to take the NCLEX-RN and become licensed to practice nursing in Indiana. Students are required to submit an application to test to the IBON, including a criminal background check. It takes the board approximately four weeks to process an application and an additional three weeks after the receipt of the criminal background check. The student is also required to register with Pearson VUE, the entity that administers the NCLEC-RN. There are separate fees paid to the IBON to apply to take the exam and a separate fee paid to Pearson VUE to take the exam. Once the student has received an authorization to test (ATT) the student then schedules a day and time to take the exam. On the day of the exam, the graduate must present a valid form of identification and the ATT. Results of the exam are available about four weeks after the exam.
RN licenses expire on 31 October of odd numbered years. Licenses can only be renewed 60 days prior to expiration. If licenses are expired for more than three years, the nurse will have to file for reinstatement. RNs are not required to fulfill continuing education hours as a requirement for renewal, except if a license is expired for more than three years but less than ten. RNs must then perform a total of 24 contact hours.
The average RN salary in Indiana is $62,000 annually and an entry level salary of $45,000 annually. Actual salary offered and salary increases throughout an RN career will depend on type of facility where employed, education, level of responsibility assumed and number of years on the job. RNs that assume positions of responsibility will earn more in salary than staff RNs.
RNs will find employment in a variety of areas including the private duty sector, nursing homes and hospitals, assisted care facilities and occupational healthcare centers, government and education facilities, teaching and clinics.
RN Nursing Schools in Indiana
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Nursing (Post-licensure)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Respiratory Therapy (RRT to BSRT)
- Medical Assistant
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!