How to Become a Registered Nurse in Iowa
The field of nursing is very competitive career choice, and the work is challenging and rewarding. The state of Iowa requires nurses to be licensed before practicing as a nurse. Registered nurses (RN) must meet certain education and exam requirements in order to become licensed. Nurses must be of good moral character and have the stamina to be on their feet for an entire shift.
Nursing in Iowa is expected to continue to grow by 23% through the year 2020. New nursing opportunities in Iowa are due to advances in medical technology and increased health options. Since the general population is living longer, the aging population is requiring more healthcare.
The Iowa Board of Nursing (IBON) requires RNs to complete a nursing program approved by the IBON and earn a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Nursing. The program must be completed at a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). An Associate’s degree program typically takes two years to complete and will include class work and clinical training.
Once the educational requirement has been completed, students must take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The student must submit an application to test to the IBON and then register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. There are separate fees due to the IBON and Pearson VUE. Applicants must complete a criminal background check and submit a fingerprint card as part of the application to test.
The IBON will review each application submitted to test and when declared complete, the applicant will be issued an authorization to test (ATT). Once the ATT has been received, the applicant has 90 days to schedule and take the NCLEX-RN test with Pearson VUE. If the applicant passes the exam, they will be issued an RN license. If the student does not pass the exam, the applicant will receive a breakdown of their score and an invitation to take the exam again.
RNs must renew their license every two years. Nursing licenses expire either on 15 September or 15 October. September renewals can be executed anytime after 15 July and the deadline to submit renewal applications is 15 August. October renewals can be executed anytime after 15 August and the deadline to submit renewal applications is 15 September. By meeting the renewal submission deadlines, the RN will have a new license in hand before the previous license expires.
RNs will find a variety of employment opportunities and include staff nurses in hospitals, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, rehabilitation facilities, occupational healthcare centers, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, government, educational and correctional facilities, vacation outlets such as cruise ships, blood collection centers, American Red Cross and insurance companies evaluating medical claims.
The average RN salary is $59,000 annually and based on a 40 hour workweek. The average starting salary for an entry level RN is $48,000 annually. The actual salary will vary depending on the geographic location and type of facility where employed. RNs that assume a supervisory position such as a director of nurses or unit manager, and may approach the $110,000 annually.
RN Nursing Schools in Iowa
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Nursing BSN B.S.
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Medical Assistant