How to Become a Registered Nurse in Maine
Becoming a nurse is a very rewarding, and challenging career choice. The duties a nurse undertakes, are varied and can be different from day to day. Men and women who choose to become a nurse will find stamina a must and the desire to help others at the top of the list of reasons to become a nurse.
Maine is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact. That means, once a nurse is licensed in their home state of Maine, they may practice nursing in another Compact state member without going through the licensing program.
The average salary for RNs in Maine is $64,000 and is slightly lower than the average RN salary nationally. The average RN salary in and around the immediate Bangor area is $68,000. The starting salary for an RN in Maine can range from $45,000 to $51,000. The actual RN salary will vary according to geographic location, type of facility where employed, years of experience, level of responsibility and area of expertise.
RN candidates are required to complete a nursing program that is approved by the Maine State Board of Nursing (MBON) and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). Most nursing schools in Maine require RN candidates to complete a slate of prerequisite courses that include biology, math and psychology. Admission to nursing schools is highly competitive and passing the prerequisite courses with above average grades is critical to nursing school acceptance. The prerequisite classes must be taken before applying to nursing school.
Most nursing students have the options of pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelors degree in nursing. Most students opt for the Bachelors degree as the higher degree generally has more employment opportunities. An RN with an Associate’s degree will be the employment choice if they have a background as a certified nursing assistant (CNA) or volunteered or worked in a healthcare facility.
Once the student has completed their studies, graduates are required to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). It is a national standard test for all nursing students. All states, including Maine, require nurses to pass the test in order to become licensed, and work as an RN. On an average, 90% of nursing graduates pass the NCLEX-RN the first time the exam is taken.
The application to take the NCELX-RN exam is submitted to the MBON with the appropriate fee and includes a 2”x2” passport type of photo taken within 6 months prior to submission. The application is also required to be notarized. The graduate must also apply with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator, to take the exam. There is a separate fee paid to Pearson VUE to take the exam. Once the MBON approves the application to test, the applicant is issued an authorization to test (ATT) and is free to schedule the exam. The ATT must be presented, along with the appropriate identification, on the day of the test.
The duties of an RN vary depending on the facility, but typical nursing duties include dispensing medication according to the prescription plan, assessing patient’s medical needs, performing emergency procedures, conducting diagnostic testing, collecting and monitoring vital signs, educating the patient and family members regarding the patient’s condition and supervising the CNA staff.
RN Nursing Schools in Maine
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education