How to Become a Registered Nurse in Maryland
Nursing is a rewarding and challenging career choice. Even though there is a great demand for nurses, nursing school admittance is very competitive. Working as a nurse is physically and emotionally demanding but it is a tremendous career choice for someone with an interest in medicine, and patient care.
The field of nursing will continue to grow through the year 2018 by 23% and predicted to add 22,000 new nursing positions in that time. The growth is due to expanded healthcare options and the advancement of medical technology, equipment and medications. As the population ages and longevity increases, people will need medical care longer than before.
The Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON) requires RN nursing candidates to complete at least an Associate’s degree in an approved nursing program in order to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Some nursing schools in Maryland offer an accelerated program Bachelor of Science in nursing program for those who have a bachelor’s degree in another field, but wish to switch to nursing. An approved nursing program will include class work and clinical training. All approved nursing programs are designed to prepare the student to take the NCLEX-RN.
As soon as the nursing candidate completes the required educational component, they are required to take the NCLEX-RN exam. The application to test, which includes a criminal background check, fingerprint card and a 2”x2” passport type photograph taken within the 6 months prior to submitting the application, is submitted to the MBON with the required fee. The nursing candidate is then required to register with Pearson VUE, who administers the exam, and submit the required exam fee. As soon as the application to test is approved, the candidate has 90 days to schedule and take the exam. The results of the exam will be available within 10 days after completing the exam.
All nurses are required to renew their license every two years and complete a criminal background check beginning with license renewals in September 2013. Nurses must document 1,000 working hours every 5 years or take an approved nursing refresher course as a requirement to renew a license. Licenses are renewed according to birth year. Nurses born in an even year will renew their license in the even year and nurses born in an odd year will renew their license in the odd year. Licenses can be renewed online but the nurse must have a valid email address either their own or one belonging to a family member or friend. Online renewal confirmation will be sent to an email address.
The average RN salary in Maryland is $77,000 with an entry level starting salary for a recent graduate of $42,000. Nurses can maximize their salary through earning a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate nursing degree, specializing in new areas of nursing and assuming greater responsibility. Salaries in major metropolitan areas tend to be higher than anywhere else in the state. Of the three shifts available to nurses, those who work the night shift, typically 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM will earn a slightly higher salary than their counterparts who work the day or evening shift.
Nurses find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, government and educational facilities and visiting nurse and hospice organizations. Nurse perform a variety of duties depending on the facility where they work, but typically include dressing wounds and changing dressings, performing emergency procedures, establishing patient care plans, dispensing medication including injections and monitoring patients progress.
RN Nursing Schools in Maryland
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...