How to Become a Registered Nurse in Maryland
Nursing is a rewarding and challenging career choice. Even though there is a great demand for nurses, nursing school admittance is very competitive. Working as a nurse is physically and emotionally demanding but it is a tremendous career choice for someone with an interest in medicine, and patient care.
The field of nursing will continue to grow through the year 2018 by 23% and predicted to add 22,000 new nursing positions in that time. The growth is due to expanded healthcare options and the advancement of medical technology, equipment and medications. As the population ages and longevity increases, people will need medical care longer than before.
The Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON) requires RN nursing candidates to complete at least an Associate’s degree in an approved nursing program in order to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Some nursing schools in Maryland offer an accelerated program Bachelor of Science in nursing program for those who have a bachelor’s degree in another field, but wish to switch to nursing. An approved nursing program will include class work and clinical training. All approved nursing programs are designed to prepare the student to take the NCLEX-RN.
As soon as the nursing candidate completes the required educational component, they are required to take the NCLEX-RN exam. The application to test, which includes a criminal background check, fingerprint card and a 2”x2” passport type photograph taken within the 6 months prior to submitting the application, is submitted to the MBON with the required fee. The nursing candidate is then required to register with Pearson VUE, who administers the exam, and submit the required exam fee. As soon as the application to test is approved, the candidate has 90 days to schedule and take the exam. The results of the exam will be available within 10 days after completing the exam.
All nurses are required to renew their license every two years and complete a criminal background check beginning with license renewals in September 2013. Nurses must document 1,000 working hours every 5 years or take an approved nursing refresher course as a requirement to renew a license. Licenses are renewed according to birth year. Nurses born in an even year will renew their license in the even year and nurses born in an odd year will renew their license in the odd year. Licenses can be renewed online but the nurse must have a valid email address either their own or one belonging to a family member or friend. Online renewal confirmation will be sent to an email address.
The average RN salary in Maryland is $77,000 with an entry level starting salary for a recent graduate of $42,000. Nurses can maximize their salary through earning a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate nursing degree, specializing in new areas of nursing and assuming greater responsibility. Salaries in major metropolitan areas tend to be higher than anywhere else in the state. Of the three shifts available to nurses, those who work the night shift, typically 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM will earn a slightly higher salary than their counterparts who work the day or evening shift.
Nurses find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, government and educational facilities and visiting nurse and hospice organizations. Nurse perform a variety of duties depending on the facility where they work, but typically include dressing wounds and changing dressings, performing emergency procedures, establishing patient care plans, dispensing medication including injections and monitoring patients progress.
RN Nursing Schools in Maryland
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online