How to Become an RN in Minnesota
The field of nursing is one of the strongest careers in terms of growth. Through the year 2020 nursing positions in Minnesota will grow by 18 to 20%. Health care options are continuing to expand as medical technology, medications and equipment continue to improve. Nursing is very challenging, but rewarding for those who have the passion to care for people.
The Minnesota Board of Nursing (MBON) requires students who wish to become an RN to complete an approved nursing program and earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree. Approved nursing programs will include class work and clinical training. The programs will also prepare the student to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The NCLEX-RN is a national nursing exam, taken by all nursing graduates across the country to test the competency of the graduate before they take on the nursing world.
The average salary for RNs in Minnesota is $60,000. The average salary for an entry level RN is about $47,000. Salaries in major metropolitan cities such as Bloomington will be slightly higher than the state average. Salary increases will commensurate with experience, level of responsibility, years of experience and education. Nurses salaries for those in positions of responsibility could top out at $110,000, depending on the facility where employed.
Minnesota is not a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, but does have border state recognition. That means if a nurse resides in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin or Iowa and holds a valid RN license in one of the bordering states, they are eligible to practice in Minnesota without a Minnesota RN license, but must meet the border state requirements.
When the educational requirements have been met, the nursing graduate must apply to the MBON to take the test. The application includes a confirmation of nursing program completion and that portion of the application can be completed online. The graduate must also register with the exam administrator, Pearson VUE to take the test. The candidate can monitor the progress of their application online. Once the MBON approves the application, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT) and then schedule a date and time to take the exam within 90 days of receiving the ATT. When the applicant passes the exam, they will be issued an RN license in about 10 days following the exam. If the applicant does not pass the test, they will be sent a diagnostic report of their score and an application to take the exam again.
There are many employment opportunity choices for an RN and include hospitals, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, occupational healthcare centers, clinics, doctor’s office, travel organizations, seasonal facilities and blood donation centers. For any nurse who would rather not work in the clinical sector, although some clinical experience is usually required, may sign on with an insurance company for the purpose of evaluating medical claims.
Nursing duties vary depending on the facility where employed, but typical RN duties include dispensing medication including injections, developing patient care plans, monitoring patient progress, keeping pertinent patient records and performing emergency tasks.
RN Degree Programs in Minnesota
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online