How to Become an RN in Minnesota
The field of nursing is one of the strongest careers in terms of growth. Through the year 2020 nursing positions in Minnesota will grow by 18 to 20%. Health care options are continuing to expand as medical technology, medications and equipment continue to improve. Nursing is very challenging, but rewarding for those who have the passion to care for people.
The Minnesota Board of Nursing (MBON) requires students who wish to become an RN to complete an approved nursing program and earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree. Approved nursing programs will include class work and clinical training. The programs will also prepare the student to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The NCLEX-RN is a national nursing exam, taken by all nursing graduates across the country to test the competency of the graduate before they take on the nursing world.
The average salary for RNs in Minnesota is $60,000. The average salary for an entry level RN is about $47,000. Salaries in major metropolitan cities such as Bloomington will be slightly higher than the state average. Salary increases will commensurate with experience, level of responsibility, years of experience and education. Nurses salaries for those in positions of responsibility could top out at $110,000, depending on the facility where employed.
Minnesota is not a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, but does have border state recognition. That means if a nurse resides in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin or Iowa and holds a valid RN license in one of the bordering states, they are eligible to practice in Minnesota without a Minnesota RN license, but must meet the border state requirements.
When the educational requirements have been met, the nursing graduate must apply to the MBON to take the test. The application includes a confirmation of nursing program completion and that portion of the application can be completed online. The graduate must also register with the exam administrator, Pearson VUE to take the test. The candidate can monitor the progress of their application online. Once the MBON approves the application, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT) and then schedule a date and time to take the exam within 90 days of receiving the ATT. When the applicant passes the exam, they will be issued an RN license in about 10 days following the exam. If the applicant does not pass the test, they will be sent a diagnostic report of their score and an application to take the exam again.
There are many employment opportunity choices for an RN and include hospitals, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, occupational healthcare centers, clinics, doctor’s office, travel organizations, seasonal facilities and blood donation centers. For any nurse who would rather not work in the clinical sector, although some clinical experience is usually required, may sign on with an insurance company for the purpose of evaluating medical claims.
Nursing duties vary depending on the facility where employed, but typical RN duties include dispensing medication including injections, developing patient care plans, monitoring patient progress, keeping pertinent patient records and performing emergency tasks.
RN Degree Programs in Minnesota
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. in Forensic Psychology: Non-Licensure Track