How to Become an RN in Mississippi
The Mississippi Board of Nursing regulates the nursing profession and sets policies to insure nurses are properly trained and patients receive the best care possible. The MBON administer licenses and license renewals and maintain a standard of care by requiring nurses to stay up to date with the latest health care technologies and methods. Qualified nurses are in demand in M and the profession will experience continued growth at about 20 to 22% through the year 2020.
To become an RN in Mississippi requires candidates to complete at least an Associate’s degree in nursing (ASN). The nursing program must be completed at an accredited college or university and the approved by the MBON. The program will include class work, as well as clinical training. An ASN program typically takes two years to complete.
Once the nursing candidate completes at least an ASN, the graduate will apply to the MBON to take the exam and register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The application to test includes a criminal background check and a fingerprint card. The nursing board will issue an authorization to test (ATT), once the application has been reviewed and deemed complete. With an ATT, the graduate will schedule the RN exam with Pearson VUE. When the graduate passes the exam, the MBON will notify the grad and issue an RN license. If the graduate does not pass the exam, the grad will be notified with a breakdown of the score and an application to take the exam again. The grad must wait at least 45 days before taking the exam again.
All nursing licenses expire every two years and are subject to renewal. RNs are required to complete 40 hours of approved continuing education each renewal period and will be required to document all hours completed. All licenses expire on 31 December and licenses can be renewed anytime after 01 October. Licenses renewed after 31 December will be subject to late fees in addition to the regular renewal fee. Nurses cannot practice nursing until properly licensed.
The average RN salary in Mississippi is $68,000 annually, based on a 40 hour work week. Salaries in major cities are typically higher than the state average and RNs who assume a role of authority and responsibility will also exceed the state average. Entry level salaries for an RN are approximately $47,000 annually. Actual salaries will depend on geographic location, level of education, years of experience and level of responsibility.
RNs will find employment in hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care and rehabilitation facilities, occupational health centers, educational and government facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, clinics, doctors offices, entertainment and sports venues, recreational venues, the American Red Cross, blood collection centers, emergency healthcare facilities and insurance companies evaluating medical claims and performing fitness tests.
RNs undertake a variety of tasks including preparing patient care plans, dispensing medication including injections, dressing wounds and changing dressings, perform diagnostic testing, evaluating patients, monitoring patient progress, taking vital signs and supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA).
RN Degree Programs in Mississippi
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online