How to Become an RN in Missouri
The field of nursing remains one of the fastest growing of all the fields in healthcare. The combination of growing health concerns, longevity and the advancement of medical technology and medication has kept the nursing profession moving forward. Nursing positions will continue to increase at a rate of 18% through the year 2020. Nursing is challenging and anyone who wants to combine challenge with the passion to take care of people will find nursing a rewarding career choice.
The average nursing salary in Missouri is $65,000 annually. The average entry level salary for an RN is $48,000 annually. The average RN salary in larger cities such as St. Louis is approximately $68,500 annually. RNs who take on a supervisory position will earn a higher than average salary and RNs who work emergency rooms will also attract higher than average salaries. RNs can maximize their salaries by working night and weekend shifts rather than just a 40 hour a week day shift.
Even though qualified nurses are in great demand, being accepted to nursing school and negotiating the rigors of the programs for nursing and passing the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) is competitive. To qualify to take the NCLEX-RN, candidates must earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing. The college or university of choice must be accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and approved by the Missouri Board of Nursing. LPNs wishing to transition to RN may take an online RN course to qualify for the RN exam.
Following the completion of the educational requirements, graduates must register with Pearson VUE, the NCLEX-RN administrator, and apply to the MBON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application to test includes a criminal background check, a fingerprint card, an official final transcript from the school sent directly to the MBON and a 2”x2” passport type photograph. The completed application must be notarized before submission to the MBON.
The nursing board will review all applications for completeness and then send the applicant an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT in hand, graduates are able to schedule the exam with Pearson VUE. The graduate has 90 days from the date of the ATT, to take the NCLEX-RN exam. When the graduate passes the exam, they will be issued a license within three weeks. If the graduate does not pass the exam, they will receive a breakdown of the score and an application to take the exam again.
All RN licenses expire on 30 April of odd numbered years. The MBON will send a notice to renew to all RNs approximately two months prior to expiration. Licenses can be renewed online or in person. RNs should keep in mind it may take up to 5 days to process a renewal. License verification can be completed online.
RNs are employed in facilities such as nursing homes, hospitals, occupational health centers, rehabilitation health facilities, clinics, private duty care, the American Red Cross, sports and entertainment venues, emergency rooms, government and educational facilities and insurance companies evaluating medical claims.
RN Degree Programs in Missouri
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...