How to Become an RN in Missouri
The field of nursing remains one of the fastest growing of all the fields in healthcare. The combination of growing health concerns, longevity and the advancement of medical technology and medication has kept the nursing profession moving forward. Nursing positions will continue to increase at a rate of 18% through the year 2020. Nursing is challenging and anyone who wants to combine challenge with the passion to take care of people will find nursing a rewarding career choice.
The average nursing salary in Missouri is $65,000 annually. The average entry level salary for an RN is $48,000 annually. The average RN salary in larger cities such as St. Louis is approximately $68,500 annually. RNs who take on a supervisory position will earn a higher than average salary and RNs who work emergency rooms will also attract higher than average salaries. RNs can maximize their salaries by working night and weekend shifts rather than just a 40 hour a week day shift.
Even though qualified nurses are in great demand, being accepted to nursing school and negotiating the rigors of the programs for nursing and passing the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) is competitive. To qualify to take the NCLEX-RN, candidates must earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing. The college or university of choice must be accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and approved by the Missouri Board of Nursing. LPNs wishing to transition to RN may take an online RN course to qualify for the RN exam.
Following the completion of the educational requirements, graduates must register with Pearson VUE, the NCLEX-RN administrator, and apply to the MBON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application to test includes a criminal background check, a fingerprint card, an official final transcript from the school sent directly to the MBON and a 2”x2” passport type photograph. The completed application must be notarized before submission to the MBON.
The nursing board will review all applications for completeness and then send the applicant an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT in hand, graduates are able to schedule the exam with Pearson VUE. The graduate has 90 days from the date of the ATT, to take the NCLEX-RN exam. When the graduate passes the exam, they will be issued a license within three weeks. If the graduate does not pass the exam, they will receive a breakdown of the score and an application to take the exam again.
All RN licenses expire on 30 April of odd numbered years. The MBON will send a notice to renew to all RNs approximately two months prior to expiration. Licenses can be renewed online or in person. RNs should keep in mind it may take up to 5 days to process a renewal. License verification can be completed online.
RNs are employed in facilities such as nursing homes, hospitals, occupational health centers, rehabilitation health facilities, clinics, private duty care, the American Red Cross, sports and entertainment venues, emergency rooms, government and educational facilities and insurance companies evaluating medical claims.
RN Degree Programs in Missouri
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online