How to Become an RN in Montana
Registered Nurses (RNs) in Montana must complete an approved nursing program and pass the Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). State law requires RNs be licensed before practicing in the nursing field. The Montana Board of Nursing (MBON) regulates the nursing profession including licensing and setting policies.
RN candidates are required to complete an approved nursing program at an accredited college or university and earn a minimum of an Associate’s degree (ASN) to qualify to take the NCLEX-RN. An approved nursing program includes both class work and clinical training.
After graduation, students are required to apply to the MBON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application includes documentation of passing an approved nursing program, a color 2”x2” photograph and proof of registration with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The MBON will review the applications to test and upon approval will issue the applicant an authorization to test (ATT). It is necessary to provide the ATT and proper identification on the day the exam is taken. Pearson VUE will notify the MBON when the exam has been taken and whether the applicant passed or failed. If the applicant passes the exam, an RN license will be issued. If the applicant fails, an exam performance review and an application to take the exam again will be issued.
An RN candidate can apply for a temporary RN license while in the NCLEX-RN process. The temporary license is valid for 60 days and cannot be renewed. The temporary license is automatically revoked if the applicant does not pass the NCLEX-RN.
All RN licenses expire on 31 December of even numbered years and are subject to renewal every two years. Notices will be mailed to the RN approximately 60 days prior to expiration. RNs are still required to renew their license even if no renewal notice is received. Notices will be sent to the address on file for each RN. As part of the renewal requirements, RNs are required to complete 24 hours of approved continuing education hours each renewal period. Hours exceeding 24 cannot be carried over to the next renewal period. RNs that have less than 24 hours cannot make them up during the next renewal cycle.
RNs find employment in a number of areas including hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities and rehabilitative centers, educational and government facilities, sports and entertainment venues, insurance companies and teaching.
RNs undertake a variety of tasks and the tasks vary depending on the facility where employed. The duties include dispensing medication, preparing patient care plans, review medical claims, dress wounds and change dressings, perform emergency services, perform diagnostic testing, monitor patient care and supervise the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA).
The average RN salary in Montana is $59,000 annually. The average entry level RN salary is $39,000 annually and the RNs who rise to a supervisory position can earn as much as $110,000 annually. Salaries tend to be higher in major metropolitan areas than in suburban and rural areas and RNs employed in hospitals tend to earn more than RNs employed in nursing homes or rehabilitative centers.
RN Degree Programs in Montana
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant