How to Become an RN in Nebraska
Becoming a nurse is a process that takes dedication and commitment to education. RNs in Nebraska are required to complete a nursing program approved by the Nebraska Board of Nursing (NBON) and receive at least an Associate’s degree. RN candidates must pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) following graduation. RN candidates must also be of good moral character and able to handle the physical demands of nursing.
RNs can expect an average annual salary of $60,000. The average entry-level annual salary in Nebraska is $42,000 and the average annual salary for a senior level nurse is $82,000. Salaries will vary depending on geographic location and facility where employed. Actual salary will also depend on years of experience, level of education and responsibility assumed. RNs can also maximize their salary by additional education, assuming more responsibility, pursuing a nursing specialty and working the night shift. It is important to keep in mind, salaries will be higher in metropolitan areas than rural areas, and RNs who work in hospitals will earn a higher salary than RNs who work in a nursing home.
The NCLEX (RN) is designed to test skills, knowledge and abilities essential to the practice of entry-level nursing. The exam is a national test required by all states and the results are reported as pass or fail. Upon graduation, graduates apply to the NBON to take the NCLEX (RN) and register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The NBON will review the application to test and if all the information has been included and is in order, the applicant will be issued an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT, the applicant may contact Pearson VUE and scheduled a date to take the exam. The applicant is free to take the exam at any of the Pearson VUE examination centers in the state of Nebraska or an adjoining state if the location is more convenient. The exam is five hours long and there are 265 questions and the applicant must receive a 75% or better to pass the exam. To take the exam requires the payment of an application fee to NBON and a separate fee to Pearson VUE. Applicants who do not pass the exam are required to wait at least 45 days before taking the exam again.
Nebraska is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC). That means it is easier to transfer nurse practice privileges from one compact state to another. An RN license under the NLC is considered a multi-state license. RNs must declare Nebraska as their home state when taking the NCLEX-RN.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years. Licenses expire on 31 October every even year. Renewal license reminders will be sent to the address on file with the NBON. An RN licenses not renewed within 30 days beyond the 31 October expiration will be considered lapsed and will not be eligible for renewal online. Criteria to renew an RN license must include one the following: practiced at least 500 hours during the previous five years and complete at least 20 hours of approved continuing education/in service hours within the previous two years; graduated from a nursing program within the last two years; graduated from an approved nursing program in more than two and less than five years previous and completed 20 hours of continuing education/in service hours; completion of a refresher course within the previous three years or maintained current certification in a nursing specialty.
RNs will continue to be in demand and nursing positions will increase by slightly better than 18% through the year the year 2020. Demand for RNs is driven largely by an aging population and the availability of more advanced health care. In addition to hospitals and nursing homes, RNs will find employment in rehabilitative and occupational healthcare facilities, government and educational facilities, seasonal vacation venues, the American Red Cross, blood collection agencies and private and public clinics.
RN Degree Programs in Nebraska
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
Concordia University-Portland offers several fully online one-year Master of Education (MEd) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques to amplify your impact in the field of education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader