How to Become an RN in Nevada
BNursing is a time honored profession that brings about great respect. It is a profession that is very demanding physically and emotionally, but brings about a great deal of satisfaction. It is an ideal profession for anyone who has the passion for patient care and the desire to help others.
To become a registered nurse (RN) in Nevada requires education and an RN license. The educational requirements include the completion of an approved nursing program and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The nursing program must be approved by the Nevada Board of Nursing (NBON) and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). The student must earn at least an Associate’s degree to qualify to take the NCLEX-RN. An Associate’s degree takes two years and includes class work and clinical training.
After completing the educational requirements, the RN candidate must apply to take the NCLEX-RN and register with Pearson VUE testing services to take the exam. The application to test is submitted to the NBON and includes a criminal background and fingerprint check. The NBON advise applicants to submit the request for the criminal background and fingerprint check as early as possible in the process, as it takes about 4 months to receive the fingerprint results and a permanent license will not be granted until the criminal background and fingerprint results are received. The applicant must also request a transcript from the nursing school and an affidavit of graduation and have them sent directly to the NBON. Once the NBON receives the affidavit, the applicant will be eligible for a temporary nursing license that is valid for 6 months. In that time, the applicant must pass the NCLEX-RN and the NBON must receive the results of the criminal background and fingerprint check. If the applicant does not meet the requirements within six months, the temporary nursing license expires and cannot be renewed.
The NBON will review the application to test and if all information is in order and the criminal background and fingerprint check are underway, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant has 90 days from the issuance of the ATT to schedule a date for the exam and take the exam at any of the Pearson VUE exam locations; including an exam location in another state if that is more convenient. The applicant will be notified by postal mail of passing or failing the exam.
RNs in Nevada are subject to license renewal every 24 months. During those 24 months, each RN must complete 30 hours of NBON approved continuing education and four of those hours must be a board approved course on bioterrorism. RN licenses expire on the licensee’s birthday every second birthday. The initial license renewal may occur in two years or less depending on when the birthday falls in relation to the issue date of the license. The NBON randomly selects RNs to submit fingerprints upon renewal of a license and the license will only be renewed for 6 months, pending the results of the fingerprint check.
The average RN salary in Nevada is $78,000 and the average entry level RN salary is $58,000. N RN in a senior nursing position may earn an average salary of $100,000. The actual salary will vary depending on the geographic location of the facility where employed, years of experience, level of education and responsibility assumed. RNs working in the Las Vegas area will find salaries slightly higher than other areas of Nevada. RNs can also maximize their salary by pursing higher education and assuming positions of greater responsibility as well as taking on a nursing specialty.
RNs typically find employment in hospitals, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, occupational healthcare centers, rehabilitative care facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, the American Red Cross, clinics and doctor’s offices and government and educational facilities, to name but a few.
RNs undertake a variety of tasks that include supervising the nursing staff, including the certified nursing assistants, preparing patient care plans, monitoring patient progress, dispensing medication including injections, perform emergency services and assisting patients with hygiene.
RN Degree Programs in Nevada
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education