How to Become an RN in Nevada
BNursing is a time honored profession that brings about great respect. It is a profession that is very demanding physically and emotionally, but brings about a great deal of satisfaction. It is an ideal profession for anyone who has the passion for patient care and the desire to help others.
To become a registered nurse (RN) in Nevada requires education and an RN license. The educational requirements include the completion of an approved nursing program and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The nursing program must be approved by the Nevada Board of Nursing (NBON) and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). The student must earn at least an Associate’s degree to qualify to take the NCLEX-RN. An Associate’s degree takes two years and includes class work and clinical training.
After completing the educational requirements, the RN candidate must apply to take the NCLEX-RN and register with Pearson VUE testing services to take the exam. The application to test is submitted to the NBON and includes a criminal background and fingerprint check. The NBON advise applicants to submit the request for the criminal background and fingerprint check as early as possible in the process, as it takes about 4 months to receive the fingerprint results and a permanent license will not be granted until the criminal background and fingerprint results are received. The applicant must also request a transcript from the nursing school and an affidavit of graduation and have them sent directly to the NBON. Once the NBON receives the affidavit, the applicant will be eligible for a temporary nursing license that is valid for 6 months. In that time, the applicant must pass the NCLEX-RN and the NBON must receive the results of the criminal background and fingerprint check. If the applicant does not meet the requirements within six months, the temporary nursing license expires and cannot be renewed.
The NBON will review the application to test and if all information is in order and the criminal background and fingerprint check are underway, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant has 90 days from the issuance of the ATT to schedule a date for the exam and take the exam at any of the Pearson VUE exam locations; including an exam location in another state if that is more convenient. The applicant will be notified by postal mail of passing or failing the exam.
RNs in Nevada are subject to license renewal every 24 months. During those 24 months, each RN must complete 30 hours of NBON approved continuing education and four of those hours must be a board approved course on bioterrorism. RN licenses expire on the licensee’s birthday every second birthday. The initial license renewal may occur in two years or less depending on when the birthday falls in relation to the issue date of the license. The NBON randomly selects RNs to submit fingerprints upon renewal of a license and the license will only be renewed for 6 months, pending the results of the fingerprint check.
The average RN salary in Nevada is $78,000 and the average entry level RN salary is $58,000. N RN in a senior nursing position may earn an average salary of $100,000. The actual salary will vary depending on the geographic location of the facility where employed, years of experience, level of education and responsibility assumed. RNs working in the Las Vegas area will find salaries slightly higher than other areas of Nevada. RNs can also maximize their salary by pursing higher education and assuming positions of greater responsibility as well as taking on a nursing specialty.
RNs typically find employment in hospitals, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, occupational healthcare centers, rehabilitative care facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, the American Red Cross, clinics and doctor’s offices and government and educational facilities, to name but a few.
RNs undertake a variety of tasks that include supervising the nursing staff, including the certified nursing assistants, preparing patient care plans, monitoring patient progress, dispensing medication including injections, perform emergency services and assisting patients with hygiene.
RN Degree Programs in Nevada
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.)
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - BSN Track - Nurse Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - RN Track - Nurse Informatics
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)