How to Become a Registered Nurse in New Mexico
Nursing is a career choice that is challenging and rewarding. It can also be demanding and exhausting at times. For anyone who has the desire to care for patients will find nursing the ideal career fit. To become a registered nurse (RN) in New Mexico, candidates must meet certain educational requirements and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
Nursing continues to be a strong employment option in the healthcare field and is projected to continue to grow by 18 to 20% through the year 2020. The demand for nurses and the increase in healthcare options continue to struggle to keep pace with each other. The increase in nursing employment options is due largely to an aging population and longevity. Advancements in medical technology have increased the number of healthcare options.
The average RN salary is $60,000 annually and the staring RN salary is $45,000. RNs in a supervisory or administrative position will earn an average salary of $98,000. Of course, the actual salary depends upon several variables that include type of facility where employed, the level of responsibility held, the level of education achieved and years of experience.
The educational requirement is the completion of a nursing program approved by the New Mexico Board of Nursing (NMBON) and earn a minimum of an Associate‘s degree. The program must include class work and clinical training under the supervision of a certified RN instructor. The nursing program is designed to prepare the nursing student for the NCLEX. Once the educational requirement has been met, the student submits an application to test to the NMBON. If the student submits an application to test before the educational requirement has been met, and “has been met” means graduation, the application will not be processed. The application includes a criminal background check and fingerprint card. The applicant must all request a declaration of completion be sent from the nursing school to the NMBON. Since New Mexico is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, the applicant must designate New Mexico as their state of residence. The applications will be reviewed in the order in which they were received. In addition to applying to the NMBON to test, the applicant must also apply to Pearson VUE Testing Services, the exam administrator, to take the exam.
The NMBON will notify Pearson VUE when an application has been approved and Pearson VUE will issue the applicant an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant will contact Pearson VUE and schedule the exam. It is recommended to register with Pearson VUE with an email address rather than a postal address, as the applicant will be notified quicker by email.
The NCLEX-RN results are reported as pass or fail. If an applicant passes the test, they will be issued an RN LICENSE. If the applicant does not pass the test, the applicant will receive an application to take the exam again, after a 45 day waiting period. To retake the exam, the applicant will be required to submit a new application with the appropriate fees. As of 2009, the state of New Mexico does not issue hard copy RN licenses. When the RN first passes the NCLEX, they will receive notification of their passing the exam long with their license number. RN licenses can be verified online through the NMBON website.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years and each RN is assigned an expiration date of 30 April or 31 May. RNs are required to complete 30 hours of approved continuing education hours every renewal period. Hours in excess of 30 hours each renewal period cannot be carried over to the next renewal period.
RNs find employment in facilities such as rehabilitative care facilities, occupational healthcare centers, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, hospitals, clinics, doctor’s offices and visiting nurse and hospice organizations. RNs also undertake a variety of duties and take on a variety of tasks. The tasks depend greatly on the facility where employed, but typical RN tasks include dispensing medication, performing diagnostic testing, rendering emergency services, monitoring patient progress and response to medication, dressing wounds and changing dressings and preparing patient care plans.
RN Training Programs in New Mexico
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Medical Administrative Assistant