How to Become a Registered Nurse in New Mexico
Nursing is a career choice that is challenging and rewarding. It can also be demanding and exhausting at times. For anyone who has the desire to care for patients will find nursing the ideal career fit. To become a registered nurse (RN) in New Mexico, candidates must meet certain educational requirements and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
Nursing continues to be a strong employment option in the healthcare field and is projected to continue to grow by 18 to 20% through the year 2020. The demand for nurses and the increase in healthcare options continue to struggle to keep pace with each other. The increase in nursing employment options is due largely to an aging population and longevity. Advancements in medical technology have increased the number of healthcare options.
The average RN salary is $60,000 annually and the staring RN salary is $45,000. RNs in a supervisory or administrative position will earn an average salary of $98,000. Of course, the actual salary depends upon several variables that include type of facility where employed, the level of responsibility held, the level of education achieved and years of experience.
The educational requirement is the completion of a nursing program approved by the New Mexico Board of Nursing (NMBON) and earn a minimum of an Associate‘s degree. The program must include class work and clinical training under the supervision of a certified RN instructor. The nursing program is designed to prepare the nursing student for the NCLEX. Once the educational requirement has been met, the student submits an application to test to the NMBON. If the student submits an application to test before the educational requirement has been met, and “has been met” means graduation, the application will not be processed. The application includes a criminal background check and fingerprint card. The applicant must all request a declaration of completion be sent from the nursing school to the NMBON. Since New Mexico is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, the applicant must designate New Mexico as their state of residence. The applications will be reviewed in the order in which they were received. In addition to applying to the NMBON to test, the applicant must also apply to Pearson VUE Testing Services, the exam administrator, to take the exam.
The NMBON will notify Pearson VUE when an application has been approved and Pearson VUE will issue the applicant an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant will contact Pearson VUE and schedule the exam. It is recommended to register with Pearson VUE with an email address rather than a postal address, as the applicant will be notified quicker by email.
The NCLEX-RN results are reported as pass or fail. If an applicant passes the test, they will be issued an RN LICENSE. If the applicant does not pass the test, the applicant will receive an application to take the exam again, after a 45 day waiting period. To retake the exam, the applicant will be required to submit a new application with the appropriate fees. As of 2009, the state of New Mexico does not issue hard copy RN licenses. When the RN first passes the NCLEX, they will receive notification of their passing the exam long with their license number. RN licenses can be verified online through the NMBON website.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years and each RN is assigned an expiration date of 30 April or 31 May. RNs are required to complete 30 hours of approved continuing education hours every renewal period. Hours in excess of 30 hours each renewal period cannot be carried over to the next renewal period.
RNs find employment in facilities such as rehabilitative care facilities, occupational healthcare centers, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, hospitals, clinics, doctor’s offices and visiting nurse and hospice organizations. RNs also undertake a variety of duties and take on a variety of tasks. The tasks depend greatly on the facility where employed, but typical RN tasks include dispensing medication, performing diagnostic testing, rendering emergency services, monitoring patient progress and response to medication, dressing wounds and changing dressings and preparing patient care plans.
RN Training Programs in New Mexico
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education