How to Become a Registered Nurse in New York
In order to consider the nursing profession in general, you must be at least eighteen years of age and be of good moral character. In New York State, you must complete all of the necessary coursework and training for nursing, plus complete requirements in the identification and reporting of child abuse offered by a New York State approved provider. You may either apply for your license by examination or by endorsement.
As long as you can show you are licensed as a registered nurse in another state, you may apply for a nursing license by endorsement. If you have already successfully completed an approved registered nurse program in another state other than New York, you can simply provide proof of licensure from that other state along with all the appropriate continuing education hours. All of the licensing of nurses in New York State is handled by the New York Board of Nursing. The board is also used as resource for those who are seriously interested in becoming a nurse in New York.
RN Job Duties
An RN observes and records the patient’s behavior. They are responsible for consulting with the physicians and other healthcare professionals. They must follow up with establishing treatment plans and be experts with all operating medical equipment. They will also perform the diagnostic testing and administer the treatments and medications. From pediatric to geriatric, an RN works with a variety of patients. Eventually, many decide to specialize in areas including dermatology, psychology, neo natal intensive care, cardiac care and neurologic care.
The RN is responsible for supervising the licensed practical nurses and certified nurse assistants. They need to be calm as they treat medical emergencies, such as serious car accidents or unexpected heart attacks and strokes. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2011, the annual mean salary for New York State RNs was $75,370.
New York RN Job Outlook
By 2020, the Bureau states that employment for nurses is expected to increase twenty six percent. Responsibilities for the RN continues to be increasingly complex as the patient moves from the hospital into the outpatient and primary care settings. ObamaCare healthcare should also increase the need for additional nurses.
Sometimes, new grads have a hard time finding jobs because they may lack enough experience or a new to the area. Many RNs do go on to get their bachelors degree in nursing. Some go on to earn advanced degrees such as nurse practitioner or decide on a masters degree in their preferred area of specialty.
It is always a good idea to start looking in your living area and find a hospital that you may want to work for while you are still in nursing school. You will be starting with a nonclinical job but will give you a foot in the door.
RN Degree and Education in New York
In order to work as an RN, you must pass the NCLEX-RN. There will be a $143 license and first registration fee. You must have a two year degree or a diploma from a program in general professional nursing that is acceptable. The program must be approved by the licensing authority or the appropriate governmental agency in the jurisdiction where the school is located.
The Marion S Whelan School of Practical Nursing at the Geneva General Hospital, Isabella Graham Hart School of Practical Nursing at Rochester General Health System and the Nursing Program in Trocaire College are accredited colleges offering practical nurse training. The Arnot Ogden Medical Center School of Nursing offers diplomas in nursing.
Many state schools including the local community colleges offer associates degrees. The four year school programs include bachelors degrees in nursing. Online degrees offered in nursing typically require you to already have your RN. The College Network does offer the associates in nursing online with an online RN program that leads to an AS in Nursing. You are required to have an LPN or LVN to enter.
Make certain the program you are going to attend is properly licensed and that they have their clinicals in a good hospital. You could be hired directly out of the program as a result of your performance during your internship.
RN Training Programs in New York
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- BS Nursing Generalist
- AAS/ADN Nursing
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Practical Nurse (LPN)-CERT
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online