How to Become a Registered Nurse in New York
In order to consider the nursing profession in general, you must be at least eighteen years of age and be of good moral character. In New York State, you must complete all of the necessary coursework and training for nursing, plus complete requirements in the identification and reporting of child abuse offered by a New York State approved provider. You may either apply for your license by examination or by endorsement.
As long as you can show you are licensed as a registered nurse in another state, you may apply for a nursing license by endorsement. If you have already successfully completed an approved registered nurse program in another state other than New York, you can simply provide proof of licensure from that other state along with all the appropriate continuing education hours. All of the licensing of nurses in New York State is handled by the New York Board of Nursing. The board is also used as resource for those who are seriously interested in becoming a nurse in New York.
RN Job Duties
An RN observes and records the patient’s behavior. They are responsible for consulting with the physicians and other healthcare professionals. They must follow up with establishing treatment plans and be experts with all operating medical equipment. They will also perform the diagnostic testing and administer the treatments and medications. From pediatric to geriatric, an RN works with a variety of patients. Eventually, many decide to specialize in areas including dermatology, psychology, neo natal intensive care, cardiac care and neurologic care.
The RN is responsible for supervising the licensed practical nurses and certified nurse assistants. They need to be calm as they treat medical emergencies, such as serious car accidents or unexpected heart attacks and strokes. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2011, the annual mean salary for New York State RNs was $75,370.
New York RN Job Outlook
By 2020, the Bureau states that employment for nurses is expected to increase twenty six percent. Responsibilities for the RN continues to be increasingly complex as the patient moves from the hospital into the outpatient and primary care settings. ObamaCare healthcare should also increase the need for additional nurses.
Sometimes, new grads have a hard time finding jobs because they may lack enough experience or a new to the area. Many RNs do go on to get their bachelors degree in nursing. Some go on to earn advanced degrees such as nurse practitioner or decide on a masters degree in their preferred area of specialty.
It is always a good idea to start looking in your living area and find a hospital that you may want to work for while you are still in nursing school. You will be starting with a nonclinical job but will give you a foot in the door.
RN Degree and Education in New York
In order to work as an RN, you must pass the NCLEX-RN. There will be a $143 license and first registration fee. You must have a two year degree or a diploma from a program in general professional nursing that is acceptable. The program must be approved by the licensing authority or the appropriate governmental agency in the jurisdiction where the school is located.
The Marion S Whelan School of Practical Nursing at the Geneva General Hospital, Isabella Graham Hart School of Practical Nursing at Rochester General Health System and the Nursing Program in Trocaire College are accredited colleges offering practical nurse training. The Arnot Ogden Medical Center School of Nursing offers diplomas in nursing.
Many state schools including the local community colleges offer associates degrees. The four year school programs include bachelors degrees in nursing. Online degrees offered in nursing typically require you to already have your RN. The College Network does offer the associates in nursing online with an online RN program that leads to an AS in Nursing. You are required to have an LPN or LVN to enter.
Make certain the program you are going to attend is properly licensed and that they have their clinicals in a good hospital. You could be hired directly out of the program as a result of your performance during your internship.
RN Training Programs in New York
- Our Healthcare programs prepare graduates for a booming Healthcare industry allowing them to apply their classroom knowledge in our simulation labs during educational scenarios and training exercises.
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (RN to BSN) expands knowledge in areas of research, theory, leadership, community concepts, healthcare policy and current trends in healthcare.
- The RN to BSN program is specifically designed for students to increase their understanding of advanced nursing roles. A Registered Nurse (RN) License is required prior to admitance to this program.
- The Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN) is uniquely focused on nursing education. This program fosters independent learning and cultivates an in-depth understanding.
- Students learn to implement nursing course curriculum using evidence-based practice throughout the duration of the MSN program while engaging in scholarly work, research and teaching practicum.
- At Hallmark University, we designed our simulation labs and facilities to look and feel just like a hospital and modern healthcare environments.
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
The Berkeley Advantage®
Preparing students for professional and personal success is what Berkeley College is all about. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- AAS in Medical Assistant
- Certificate in Medical Assistant
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Practical Nursing (LPN)-CERT
- Practical Nurse (LPN)-CERT
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!