How to Become a Registered Nurse in North Carolina
If you care about people and want to make a difference, you may be one of the many who will feel more fulfilled in serving others. It is not a surprise that people of all ages become very interested in nursing. It has always been a highly respected and trusted profession. In North Carolina, there are over 91,000 registered nurses. You will only be considered for nursing if you are of good moral character and at least eighteen years old.
In order to accomplish the distinguished RN title, you will first need to show proof that you are a graduate from a school of nursing that is recognized and approved by the state. Once you have completed the necessary coursework and training for nursing, you are required to pass the state exam called the NCLEX-RN, the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses.
RN Job Duties
More than half of all RNs currently work in hospitals. You can find a large assortment of specialties such as emergency room, labor and delivery or intensive care. They usually work about twelve hours per day and can choose a preferred day, night shift or a combination of both.
You may not be surprised to hear that you will never be bored with this job. You will be expected to perform diagnostic tests and consult with physicians and other healthcare professionals in a timely manner. You will probably be administering medications. You may need to establish the treatment plans and be in charge of operating the medical equipment. You may be expected to supervise licensed practical nurses and certified nurse assistants. You will also be working with a variety of patients of all ages and be charged to observe and record their behavior.
North Carolina RN Job Outlook
The need for registered nurses is expected to grow by nineteen percent from 2012 to 2022. This group is much faster than the usual eleven percent average for most other occupations according to Health Guide USA. The job not only pays well but it also cannot be outsourced.
Initially, you will be scheduled for shift work including nights, weekends and holidays. Many RNs eventually discover want to move on to a more advance degree and want to concentrate on something more specific in this field.
You could spend much as $20,000 each year attending school for a BSN. If this is not within your budget, the tuition costs at your local community college will be much lower, at $3,000 per year instead. You can also be flexible with your schooling and go part time or full time. You can study in a classroom setting, online or an independent study program.
You do have three options in the types of programs. You can choose a diploma or certificate program, an associates degree in nursing, ADN or the bachelor of science in Nursing Degree, BSN. They all have their benefits and downsides. Your current commitments may decide which degree is right for you.
RN Salaries in North Carolina
The income of a registered nurse depends on several factors including your location, type of specialization, advanced degrees and your years of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics latest data, the average salary of a registered nurse in the United States is $67,930. The average RN salary in North Carolina in 2012 was $28.25 hourly and $58,760 yearly.
RN Schools and Programs in North Carolina
The Chamberlain College of Nursing offers online education. Also recommended is the Sandhills Community College in Pinehurst, the Catawba Valley Community College Nursing Program in Hickory and the Sampson Community College in Clinton.
You may want to get a feel for nursing and work in a hospital environment first. Doing volunteer work there can be a great way to earn experience. You won’t be lost and will feel more confident when it is time to find your first employment. Being a registered nurse is a fun and fulfilling choice of employment.
RN Training Programs in North Carolina
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- MS Nursing w/Con Nurse Executive
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner