How to Become a Registered Nurse in North Carolina
If you care about people and want to make a difference, you may be one of the many who will feel more fulfilled in serving others. It is not a surprise that people of all ages become very interested in nursing. It has always been a highly respected and trusted profession. In North Carolina, there are over 91,000 registered nurses. You will only be considered for nursing if you are of good moral character and at least eighteen years old.
In order to accomplish the distinguished RN title, you will first need to show proof that you are a graduate from a school of nursing that is recognized and approved by the state. Once you have completed the necessary coursework and training for nursing, you are required to pass the state exam called the NCLEX-RN, the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses.
RN Job Duties
More than half of all RNs currently work in hospitals. You can find a large assortment of specialties such as emergency room, labor and delivery or intensive care. They usually work about twelve hours per day and can choose a preferred day, night shift or a combination of both.
You may not be surprised to hear that you will never be bored with this job. You will be expected to perform diagnostic tests and consult with physicians and other healthcare professionals in a timely manner. You will probably be administering medications. You may need to establish the treatment plans and be in charge of operating the medical equipment. You may be expected to supervise licensed practical nurses and certified nurse assistants. You will also be working with a variety of patients of all ages and be charged to observe and record their behavior.
North Carolina RN Job Outlook
The need for registered nurses is expected to grow by nineteen percent from 2012 to 2022. This group is much faster than the usual eleven percent average for most other occupations according to Health Guide USA. The job not only pays well but it also cannot be outsourced.
Initially, you will be scheduled for shift work including nights, weekends and holidays. Many RNs eventually discover want to move on to a more advance degree and want to concentrate on something more specific in this field.
You could spend much as $20,000 each year attending school for a BSN. If this is not within your budget, the tuition costs at your local community college will be much lower, at $3,000 per year instead. You can also be flexible with your schooling and go part time or full time. You can study in a classroom setting, online or an independent study program.
You do have three options in the types of programs. You can choose a diploma or certificate program, an associates degree in nursing, ADN or the bachelor of science in Nursing Degree, BSN. They all have their benefits and downsides. Your current commitments may decide which degree is right for you.
RN Salaries in North Carolina
The income of a registered nurse depends on several factors including your location, type of specialization, advanced degrees and your years of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics latest data, the average salary of a registered nurse in the United States is $67,930. The average RN salary in North Carolina in 2012 was $28.25 hourly and $58,760 yearly.
RN Schools and Programs in North Carolina
The Chamberlain College of Nursing offers online education. Also recommended is the Sandhills Community College in Pinehurst, the Catawba Valley Community College Nursing Program in Hickory and the Sampson Community College in Clinton.
You may want to get a feel for nursing and work in a hospital environment first. Doing volunteer work there can be a great way to earn experience. You won’t be lost and will feel more confident when it is time to find your first employment. Being a registered nurse is a fun and fulfilling choice of employment.
RN Training Programs in North Carolina
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education