How to Become a Registered Nurse in Oklahoma
Nursing is a time honored tradition with its history dating back several centuries. Nursing is a challenging endeavor and certainly not for the faint of heart, but it comes with a great many rewards.
The Oklahoma Board of Nursing requires registered nurse (RN) candidates to complete an approved nursing program that includes class work and clinical training. Candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree and take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). RNs are required to be licensed before being allowed to practice nursing in the state.
After the educational requirements are completed, the graduate will take the NCLEX-RN. The applicant must be at least 18 years of age to take the exam and apply to take the exam within two years of completing the program. The application is submitted to the OBON and includes verification of citizen status. Ohio State law requires RN candidates be a US citizen, nationals or legal permanent resident aliens. The application also includes a criminal background check and a fingerprint card and verification of a high school diploma, along with a 2”x2” passport type of photograph. As soon as the graduate submits an application to test, registration with Pearson VUE Testing Services is required. Pearson VUE is the exam administrator. Once the Board has reviewed and approved the application to test, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). The ATT allows the applicant to schedule the exam with Pearson VUE. Applicants must take the NCLEX-RN within 90 days of the issuance of the ATT.
After the exam, the applicant will be notified of the exam results and the results are reported as pass or fail. Graduates who pass the exam will be issued an RN license while graduates who fail will be issued an application to take the test again. Applicants will receive the results of the exam within six weeks of taking the exam. Graduates can check the unofficial exam results by logging into the Pearson VUE Quick Results Service website. Payment of a nominal fee is required to access the Quick Results website.
RN licenses expire on the last day of the licensee’s birth month in odd numbered years following the date of issuance. RNs are required to complete 24 contact hours of approved continuing education hours in regards to nursing. When renewing a license, RNs will be required to sign an affidavit attesting to the completion of the required hours. The OBON randomly audits RNs periodically and selected RNs will be required to provide actual documentation of the completion of the hours.
Nursing opportunities for qualified RNs are increasing and will continue to expand at a rapid rate. The Bureau of Labor Statistics project opportunities will expand at a rate of 20% through the year 2022, making nursing the fastest expanding field in the healthcare industry. RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including hospitals and nursing homes, occupational and rehabilitative healthcare facilities, home care and private duty options, clinics, doctor’s offices, schools and government facilities, seasonal vacation venues, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and RN call centers.
The average RN annual salary in Oklahoma is $59,000. Entry level RNs can expect an average starting salary of $42,000 and senior level RNs, including those in a position of administration or supervision, will earn an average salary of $90,000. The actual salary will depend on the level of education, years of experience, nursing specialty and geographic location, along with the type of facility where employed. RN’s employed in high risk areas such as Emergency Rooms will often command a slightly higher salary.
The duties of an RN are varied and challenging. The actual duties will vary depending on facility where employed, but include medication dispensing, performing emergency procedures, monitoring patient progress, performing diagnostic testing, preparing and implementing patient care and treatment plans, supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA), training entry level nurses and CNAs and managing the nursing staff or care unit.
RN Training Programs in Oklahoma
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online