How to Become a Registered Nurse in Oklahoma
Nursing is a time honored tradition with its history dating back several centuries. Nursing is a challenging endeavor and certainly not for the faint of heart, but it comes with a great many rewards.
The Oklahoma Board of Nursing requires registered nurse (RN) candidates to complete an approved nursing program that includes class work and clinical training. Candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree and take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). RNs are required to be licensed before being allowed to practice nursing in the state.
After the educational requirements are completed, the graduate will take the NCLEX-RN. The applicant must be at least 18 years of age to take the exam and apply to take the exam within two years of completing the program. The application is submitted to the OBON and includes verification of citizen status. Ohio State law requires RN candidates be a US citizen, nationals or legal permanent resident aliens. The application also includes a criminal background check and a fingerprint card and verification of a high school diploma, along with a 2”x2” passport type of photograph. As soon as the graduate submits an application to test, registration with Pearson VUE Testing Services is required. Pearson VUE is the exam administrator. Once the Board has reviewed and approved the application to test, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). The ATT allows the applicant to schedule the exam with Pearson VUE. Applicants must take the NCLEX-RN within 90 days of the issuance of the ATT.
After the exam, the applicant will be notified of the exam results and the results are reported as pass or fail. Graduates who pass the exam will be issued an RN license while graduates who fail will be issued an application to take the test again. Applicants will receive the results of the exam within six weeks of taking the exam. Graduates can check the unofficial exam results by logging into the Pearson VUE Quick Results Service website. Payment of a nominal fee is required to access the Quick Results website.
RN licenses expire on the last day of the licensee’s birth month in odd numbered years following the date of issuance. RNs are required to complete 24 contact hours of approved continuing education hours in regards to nursing. When renewing a license, RNs will be required to sign an affidavit attesting to the completion of the required hours. The OBON randomly audits RNs periodically and selected RNs will be required to provide actual documentation of the completion of the hours.
Nursing opportunities for qualified RNs are increasing and will continue to expand at a rapid rate. The Bureau of Labor Statistics project opportunities will expand at a rate of 20% through the year 2022, making nursing the fastest expanding field in the healthcare industry. RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including hospitals and nursing homes, occupational and rehabilitative healthcare facilities, home care and private duty options, clinics, doctor’s offices, schools and government facilities, seasonal vacation venues, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and RN call centers.
The average RN annual salary in Oklahoma is $59,000. Entry level RNs can expect an average starting salary of $42,000 and senior level RNs, including those in a position of administration or supervision, will earn an average salary of $90,000. The actual salary will depend on the level of education, years of experience, nursing specialty and geographic location, along with the type of facility where employed. RN’s employed in high risk areas such as Emergency Rooms will often command a slightly higher salary.
The duties of an RN are varied and challenging. The actual duties will vary depending on facility where employed, but include medication dispensing, performing emergency procedures, monitoring patient progress, performing diagnostic testing, preparing and implementing patient care and treatment plans, supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA), training entry level nurses and CNAs and managing the nursing staff or care unit.
RN Training Programs in Oklahoma
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Medical Assisting