How to Become a Registered Nurse in Oklahoma
Nursing is a time honored tradition with its history dating back several centuries. Nursing is a challenging endeavor and certainly not for the faint of heart, but it comes with a great many rewards.
The Oklahoma Board of Nursing requires registered nurse (RN) candidates to complete an approved nursing program that includes class work and clinical training. Candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree and take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). RNs are required to be licensed before being allowed to practice nursing in the state.
After the educational requirements are completed, the graduate will take the NCLEX-RN. The applicant must be at least 18 years of age to take the exam and apply to take the exam within two years of completing the program. The application is submitted to the OBON and includes verification of citizen status. Ohio State law requires RN candidates be a US citizen, nationals or legal permanent resident aliens. The application also includes a criminal background check and a fingerprint card and verification of a high school diploma, along with a 2”x2” passport type of photograph. As soon as the graduate submits an application to test, registration with Pearson VUE Testing Services is required. Pearson VUE is the exam administrator. Once the Board has reviewed and approved the application to test, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). The ATT allows the applicant to schedule the exam with Pearson VUE. Applicants must take the NCLEX-RN within 90 days of the issuance of the ATT.
After the exam, the applicant will be notified of the exam results and the results are reported as pass or fail. Graduates who pass the exam will be issued an RN license while graduates who fail will be issued an application to take the test again. Applicants will receive the results of the exam within six weeks of taking the exam. Graduates can check the unofficial exam results by logging into the Pearson VUE Quick Results Service website. Payment of a nominal fee is required to access the Quick Results website.
RN licenses expire on the last day of the licensee’s birth month in odd numbered years following the date of issuance. RNs are required to complete 24 contact hours of approved continuing education hours in regards to nursing. When renewing a license, RNs will be required to sign an affidavit attesting to the completion of the required hours. The OBON randomly audits RNs periodically and selected RNs will be required to provide actual documentation of the completion of the hours.
Nursing opportunities for qualified RNs are increasing and will continue to expand at a rapid rate. The Bureau of Labor Statistics project opportunities will expand at a rate of 20% through the year 2022, making nursing the fastest expanding field in the healthcare industry. RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including hospitals and nursing homes, occupational and rehabilitative healthcare facilities, home care and private duty options, clinics, doctor’s offices, schools and government facilities, seasonal vacation venues, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and RN call centers.
The average RN annual salary in Oklahoma is $59,000. Entry level RNs can expect an average starting salary of $42,000 and senior level RNs, including those in a position of administration or supervision, will earn an average salary of $90,000. The actual salary will depend on the level of education, years of experience, nursing specialty and geographic location, along with the type of facility where employed. RN’s employed in high risk areas such as Emergency Rooms will often command a slightly higher salary.
The duties of an RN are varied and challenging. The actual duties will vary depending on facility where employed, but include medication dispensing, performing emergency procedures, monitoring patient progress, performing diagnostic testing, preparing and implementing patient care and treatment plans, supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA), training entry level nurses and CNAs and managing the nursing staff or care unit.
RN Training Programs in Oklahoma
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Medical Assisting
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...