How to Become a Registered Nurse in Oregon
The Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBON) regulates the field of nursing in the state and sets policies and implements regulations to maintain quality patient care through state of the art prepared nurses. The OBON also regulates nurse registration and maintains an up to date list of license information including renewals and disciplinary action taken on a license.
To become a registered nurse (RN) in Oregon candidates are required to complete an approved nursing program earning at least an Associate’s degree. The candidate must also pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). An Associate’s degree program takes two years to complete and includes class work and clinical training. RNs must be licensed to practice nursing in Oregon and considers nursing employment to begin upon orientation. It is important to note OSBON does not issue temporary nursing licenses. Practicing nursing or claiming to be an RN before being properly licensed will result in a hefty fine.
After the education requirements are met, the graduate must apply to take the NCLEX-RN. Applicants must apply to take the exam within three years of graduation. The application to test includes a criminal background check and fingerprint card and a 2”x2” passport type of photograph taken within 6 months of application for the exam. Applicants must also request the nursing school submit an official transcript to the OSBON. The applicant is also required to register with Pearson VUE Testing Services, the exam administrator. The Board will review the application to test and when approved, the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT) and be able to schedule the exam with Pearson VUE. The OSBON will notify applicants of pass or fail and issue an RN license if the applicant passes the exam. Exam results are available in an unofficial capacity from the Pearson VUE Quick Results web page for a fee within 48 hours of taking the exam. Applicants who do not pass the exam will have the opportunity to take the exam again after a 45 day waiting period.
RN licenses expire every two years on the license holder’s birthday of the odd year if born in an odd year or an even year if born in an even year. RNs will receive notification of renewal, via email, six to eight weeks before expiration. Not receiving such a reminder does not relieve the RN of the responsibility to renew. To renew a license RNs must meet one of the practice requirements and they are practice nursing for a minimum of 960 hours over the previous five years, complete an approved nursing reentry program within the previous two years or graduate from an approved nursing program within the previous five years. If a license is expired beyond 60 days, RNs will have to pursue the re-entry or reactivation process.
RNs are in demand and the opportunities will continue to grow, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, at an aggressive rate through the year 2022. RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities and venues including educational and government facilities, hospitals, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, professional and amateur sports leagues, seasonal recreational and vacation venues, occupational healthcare centers, rehabilitative care centers, clinics, doctor’s offices, urgent care centers, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and temporary staffing agencies.
The average annual salary for an RN in Oregon is $75,000 and an entry level RN can expect to earn $48,000 annually. RNs in senior positions can top out a salary at $102,000. Senior RN positions include Director of Nursing, Nursing Administrators and unit managers. Senior positions are available to RNs with a certain number of years of experience and Bachelors or Masters Degree in nursing.
Nursing duties vary according to where employed, but typical RN duties include dispensing medication and monitoring reaction, preparing patient care and treatment plans, performing emergency procedures, monitoring vital signs, dressing wounds and changing dressings, coordinating care with other healthcare departments and supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants.
RN Training Programs in Oregon
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Healthcare Administration (BS)