Training to Become an RN in South Dakota
To become a registered nurse (RN) takes commitment, dedication and effort. For anyone who wants to invest those three qualities in the healthcare profession, a career in nursing is the ideal destination. Becoming an RN is also challenging and loaded with personal rewards for the right person.
RNs typically find employment in a variety of areas including healthcare facilities such as nursing homes and hospitals, assisted care facilities, rehabilitative care centers, occupational healthcare centers, educational and government facilities and public and private clinics. RNs will also find employment with hospice and visiting nurse organizations, private duty and home care, temporary staffing agencies and traveling nurse organizations.
The duties an RN assumes are challenging and vary, usually depending on the facility where employed. Typical duties include preparing patient care and treatment plans, dispensing medication including injections and monitoring reaction, performing emergency procedures, monitoring vital signs, performing diagnostic testing and preparing patients for release to home or other healthcare facility.
To obtain an RN license in South Dakota requires the candidate to be a resident of South Dakota, complete a South Dakota Board of Nursing (SDBON) approved nursing program and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Because South Dakota is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, RN candidates must claim South Dakota as their home state. Student’s who studied in South Dakota but are residents of other states, cannot take the NCLEX-RN in South Dakota.
RN candidates must earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing to be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN. An approved program will include class work and clinical training. It is important to keep in mind RNs who wish to pursue advanced nurse practice will be required to complete a Masters degree in the area of nursing specialty. When planning the nursing career path and choosing a nursing program the ultimate nursing goal should be considered.
Once the educational requirements have been met, it is time to take the NCLEX-RN. The graduate must submit an application to the SDBON and the application includes a criminal background check and fingerprint card and certificate of completion from the nursing school attended. The graduate must also register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The Board will review the application and when deemed complete the applicant will be issued an authorization to test (ATT).The applicant is then free to schedule the exam with Pearson VUE.
The graduate may also apply for a temporary permit in order to begin employment while in the exam process. The temporary permit will be issued as soon as the Board receives the completed criminal background check cards and fee, the application to test, documentation of completed education and the temporary permit application. The temporary permit will be valid for 90 days or until the applicant has been notified of the NCLEX-RN results. Under the terms of the temporary license the graduate nurse must work under the direction of an RN and that designated RN must be in the same proximity as the graduate nurse at all times.
All RN licenses expire on 31 December of each even numbered year and RNs are required to renew their license at that time. RNs are not required to complete continuing education hours as a requirement for license renewal, but must provide verification of employment for a minimum of 140 hours in any 12 month period during the previous six years or a total accumulation of 480 hours during the previous six years.
The average RN salary in South Dakota is $55,000 annually. Entry level RNs will find annual starting salaries to be $38,000. RNs in a supervisory or administrative position will find the average salaries to top out at $92,000 annually. In addition to salary, RN compensation will include health benefits, short and long term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, dental care, retirement contributions and sometimes a signing bonus. RNs with higher level degrees such as a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree will command a higher salary than an RN with an Associate’s degree.
Schools With RN Programs in South Dakota
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...