Training to Become an RN in Utah
Qualified nurses are in demand and for anyone who has the passion for patient care will find nursing a challenging career choice. Opportunities for qualified registered nurses (RN) are still on the upswing and will continue to increase as health care options increase and the population experiences greater longevity. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nursing opportunities will increase through the year 2020 at a rate of 22 to 25%.
The average RN salary in Utah is $60,000 annually and entry level RNs can expect to earn $42,000 annually. RNs with advanced training will find salaries average $80,000 annually and RNs in position of responsibility may top out with an average salary of $110,000.
Exact salaries will vary depending on several factors including the type of facility where employed, geographic location and level of education and years of experience. RNs can always maximize salary by pursuing higher degrees and taking on different levels of responsibility. In addition to salary, RNs are also compensated with benefits that may include health and dental benefits, life insurance, short and/or long term disability, tuition reimbursement and retirement contribution.
RNs are required to be licensed before practicing nursing and the process to become licensed includes completing a nursing program approved by the Utah Board of Nursing and taking the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The UBON does not grant temporary nursing license to graduates while they work their way through the exam process.
RN candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university. The program will include class work and clinical training. The nursing programs are designed to prepare the student to take the NCLEX. Utah is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, which means RNs licensed in a Compact state can practice nursing in another compact state without obtaining a new license. It is important applicants declare Utah as their home state when taking the NCLEX.
An RN candidate should apply to the UBON in the final semester of school to take the NCLEX. The student must also request the final transcript be sent directly from the nursing school to the UBON. The application includes a criminal background and fingerprint check. The graduate is also required to register with Pearson VUE Testing Services, the exam administrator. The UBON will review the application and upon approval will notify Pearson VUE of the applicant’s eligibility to take the exam. The applicant will schedule a date to take the exam.
The applicant will be notified within two weeks of the results of the exam and the results will be reported as pass or fail. Successful RN candidates who pass the exam will receive their license within three weeks of the exam. RN candidates who do not pass the test will receive an application to take the exam again.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years. RNs must meet one of the three renewal qualifiers and they are to complete 30 contact hours, complete 200 nursing practice hours and 15 contact hours or complete 400 nursing practice hours. All RN licenses expire on 31 January of even numbered years and must be renewed before the license expires. Licenses expired beyond 60 days will only be reactivated by completing the reactivation process.
Qualified RNs in Utah will find employment in a variety of areas including hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities, rehabilitative care and occupational healthcare centers, amateur and professional athletic associations, seasonal recreational and vacation venues, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and clinics and doctor’s offices.
The duties an RN undertakes are varied and largely depend on the facility where employed. Typical RN duties include preparing, implementing and monitoring patient care and treatment plans, dressing wounds and changing dressings, performing emergency procedures, performing diagnostic testing, coordinating care with other healthcare services, supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants, coordinating information with patients, family members and medical personnel and supervising patient care.
Schools With RN Programs in Utah
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Assisting (AOS)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!