Training to Become an RN in Utah
Qualified nurses are in demand and for anyone who has the passion for patient care will find nursing a challenging career choice. Opportunities for qualified registered nurses (RN) are still on the upswing and will continue to increase as health care options increase and the population experiences greater longevity. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nursing opportunities will increase through the year 2020 at a rate of 22 to 25%.
The average RN salary in Utah is $60,000 annually and entry level RNs can expect to earn $42,000 annually. RNs with advanced training will find salaries average $80,000 annually and RNs in position of responsibility may top out with an average salary of $110,000.
Exact salaries will vary depending on several factors including the type of facility where employed, geographic location and level of education and years of experience. RNs can always maximize salary by pursuing higher degrees and taking on different levels of responsibility. In addition to salary, RNs are also compensated with benefits that may include health and dental benefits, life insurance, short and/or long term disability, tuition reimbursement and retirement contribution.
RNs are required to be licensed before practicing nursing and the process to become licensed includes completing a nursing program approved by the Utah Board of Nursing and taking the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The UBON does not grant temporary nursing license to graduates while they work their way through the exam process.
RN candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university. The program will include class work and clinical training. The nursing programs are designed to prepare the student to take the NCLEX. Utah is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, which means RNs licensed in a Compact state can practice nursing in another compact state without obtaining a new license. It is important applicants declare Utah as their home state when taking the NCLEX.
An RN candidate should apply to the UBON in the final semester of school to take the NCLEX. The student must also request the final transcript be sent directly from the nursing school to the UBON. The application includes a criminal background and fingerprint check. The graduate is also required to register with Pearson VUE Testing Services, the exam administrator. The UBON will review the application and upon approval will notify Pearson VUE of the applicant’s eligibility to take the exam. The applicant will schedule a date to take the exam.
The applicant will be notified within two weeks of the results of the exam and the results will be reported as pass or fail. Successful RN candidates who pass the exam will receive their license within three weeks of the exam. RN candidates who do not pass the test will receive an application to take the exam again.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years. RNs must meet one of the three renewal qualifiers and they are to complete 30 contact hours, complete 200 nursing practice hours and 15 contact hours or complete 400 nursing practice hours. All RN licenses expire on 31 January of even numbered years and must be renewed before the license expires. Licenses expired beyond 60 days will only be reactivated by completing the reactivation process.
Qualified RNs in Utah will find employment in a variety of areas including hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities, rehabilitative care and occupational healthcare centers, amateur and professional athletic associations, seasonal recreational and vacation venues, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and clinics and doctor’s offices.
The duties an RN undertakes are varied and largely depend on the facility where employed. Typical RN duties include preparing, implementing and monitoring patient care and treatment plans, dressing wounds and changing dressings, performing emergency procedures, performing diagnostic testing, coordinating care with other healthcare services, supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants, coordinating information with patients, family members and medical personnel and supervising patient care.
Schools With RN Programs in Utah
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Medical Assistant
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AAS)