Training to Become an RN in Utah
Qualified nurses are in demand and for anyone who has the passion for patient care will find nursing a challenging career choice. Opportunities for qualified registered nurses (RN) are still on the upswing and will continue to increase as health care options increase and the population experiences greater longevity. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nursing opportunities will increase through the year 2020 at a rate of 22 to 25%.
The average RN salary in Utah is $60,000 annually and entry level RNs can expect to earn $42,000 annually. RNs with advanced training will find salaries average $80,000 annually and RNs in position of responsibility may top out with an average salary of $110,000.
Exact salaries will vary depending on several factors including the type of facility where employed, geographic location and level of education and years of experience. RNs can always maximize salary by pursuing higher degrees and taking on different levels of responsibility. In addition to salary, RNs are also compensated with benefits that may include health and dental benefits, life insurance, short and/or long term disability, tuition reimbursement and retirement contribution.
RNs are required to be licensed before practicing nursing and the process to become licensed includes completing a nursing program approved by the Utah Board of Nursing and taking the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The UBON does not grant temporary nursing license to graduates while they work their way through the exam process.
RN candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university. The program will include class work and clinical training. The nursing programs are designed to prepare the student to take the NCLEX. Utah is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, which means RNs licensed in a Compact state can practice nursing in another compact state without obtaining a new license. It is important applicants declare Utah as their home state when taking the NCLEX.
An RN candidate should apply to the UBON in the final semester of school to take the NCLEX. The student must also request the final transcript be sent directly from the nursing school to the UBON. The application includes a criminal background and fingerprint check. The graduate is also required to register with Pearson VUE Testing Services, the exam administrator. The UBON will review the application and upon approval will notify Pearson VUE of the applicant’s eligibility to take the exam. The applicant will schedule a date to take the exam.
The applicant will be notified within two weeks of the results of the exam and the results will be reported as pass or fail. Successful RN candidates who pass the exam will receive their license within three weeks of the exam. RN candidates who do not pass the test will receive an application to take the exam again.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years. RNs must meet one of the three renewal qualifiers and they are to complete 30 contact hours, complete 200 nursing practice hours and 15 contact hours or complete 400 nursing practice hours. All RN licenses expire on 31 January of even numbered years and must be renewed before the license expires. Licenses expired beyond 60 days will only be reactivated by completing the reactivation process.
Qualified RNs in Utah will find employment in a variety of areas including hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities, rehabilitative care and occupational healthcare centers, amateur and professional athletic associations, seasonal recreational and vacation venues, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and clinics and doctor’s offices.
The duties an RN undertakes are varied and largely depend on the facility where employed. Typical RN duties include preparing, implementing and monitoring patient care and treatment plans, dressing wounds and changing dressings, performing emergency procedures, performing diagnostic testing, coordinating care with other healthcare services, supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants, coordinating information with patients, family members and medical personnel and supervising patient care.
Schools With RN Programs in Utah
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education