Training to Become an RN in Virginia
Choosing a career in the medical field will provide you with job satisfaction and a way to help people in need. If you are thinking about becoming an RN in Virginia there are several steps you will need to take. Once you have gained the training you need, you can begin making your dream of being a Registered Nurse a reality.
There are several ways to become an RN in Virginia. If you are currently working as a CNA or an LPN you will need to attend a training program and earn your Associates Degree from a qualified nursing school. Some entry level jobs are available for RN’s with this basic degree. Most RN’s choose to continue their schooling and earn a Bachelor’s degree in nursing from a school accredited by the Virginia Board of Nursing. Once you have earned your degree, you will also need to pass the Virgina Board Examinations. RN’s who want to work in management positions may choose to earn a Master’s Degree in Nursing and continue to advance in their chosen career.
RN Job Description
A Virginia RN encounters many different duties throughout the workday. An RN will provide patient care and education about medical conditions. An RN will record patient symptoms and record medical history information. Often an RN will use medical equipment to assess the patient and confer with the physician about a treatment plan. RN’s will also work in a variety of different environments. Some nurses may work in an Emergency Room or a Nursing Home. Other RN’s may work in a doctor’s office or may work in a specialty area in a Virginia hospital.
RN Salaries in Virginia
Salaries for a Virginia RN vary depending on the type of office where the nurse is working. The average salary for an RN is $67,930. In Virginia an RN will earn approximately $63,050 or about $30.31 per hour. An entry level RN will earn a little less and an experienced RN could make more than the average. People considering the RN field will need to consider the number of hours they can expect to work and the flexibility in job opportunities in Virginia. The medical field continues to grow each year and the number of available RN jobs in Virginia continues to increase.
Job Outlook for Virginia RN
Jobs for a Registered Nurse in Virginia is expected to increase about 19% over the next 5-10 years. People who are looking for work in Nursing Homes or with the Elderly will be in high demand. Virginia is well known for its medical teaching colleges and prestigious hospitals. An RN can work for these Virginia facilities and gain experience to move up in his or here career.
RN Schools and Programs in Virginia
There are over 100 schools and programs who have an RN program approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing. This includes community colleges, technical schools, four year universities, and hospital programs. An RN may choose to take courses on campus or online. Some programs also accept work experience in addition to course work. A person who wants to work as an RN in Virginia must pass the NCLEX and earn a license. Once an RN begins working, he or she will also need to attend continuing education courses and renew the Virginia Nursing License every two years.
Schools With RN Programs in Virginia
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate's
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Respiratory Therapy (RRT to BSRT)
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Medical Assistant Diploma
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!