Training to Become an RN in Virginia
Choosing a career in the medical field will provide you with job satisfaction and a way to help people in need. If you are thinking about becoming an RN in Virginia there are several steps you will need to take. Once you have gained the training you need, you can begin making your dream of being a Registered Nurse a reality.
There are several ways to become an RN in Virginia. If you are currently working as a CNA or an LPN you will need to attend a training program and earn your Associates Degree from a qualified nursing school. Some entry level jobs are available for RN’s with this basic degree. Most RN’s choose to continue their schooling and earn a Bachelor’s degree in nursing from a school accredited by the Virginia Board of Nursing. Once you have earned your degree, you will also need to pass the Virgina Board Examinations. RN’s who want to work in management positions may choose to earn a Master’s Degree in Nursing and continue to advance in their chosen career.
RN Job Description
A Virginia RN encounters many different duties throughout the workday. An RN will provide patient care and education about medical conditions. An RN will record patient symptoms and record medical history information. Often an RN will use medical equipment to assess the patient and confer with the physician about a treatment plan. RN’s will also work in a variety of different environments. Some nurses may work in an Emergency Room or a Nursing Home. Other RN’s may work in a doctor’s office or may work in a specialty area in a Virginia hospital.
RN Salaries in Virginia
Salaries for a Virginia RN vary depending on the type of office where the nurse is working. The average salary for an RN is $67,930. In Virginia an RN will earn approximately $63,050 or about $30.31 per hour. An entry level RN will earn a little less and an experienced RN could make more than the average. People considering the RN field will need to consider the number of hours they can expect to work and the flexibility in job opportunities in Virginia. The medical field continues to grow each year and the number of available RN jobs in Virginia continues to increase.
Job Outlook for Virginia RN
Jobs for a Registered Nurse in Virginia is expected to increase about 19% over the next 5-10 years. People who are looking for work in Nursing Homes or with the Elderly will be in high demand. Virginia is well known for its medical teaching colleges and prestigious hospitals. An RN can work for these Virginia facilities and gain experience to move up in his or here career.
RN Schools and Programs in Virginia
There are over 100 schools and programs who have an RN program approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing. This includes community colleges, technical schools, four year universities, and hospital programs. An RN may choose to take courses on campus or online. Some programs also accept work experience in addition to course work. A person who wants to work as an RN in Virginia must pass the NCLEX and earn a license. Once an RN begins working, he or she will also need to attend continuing education courses and renew the Virginia Nursing License every two years.
Schools With RN Programs in Virginia
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma