Training to Become an RN in Washington
A career in nursing is an exciting and challenging choice, especially for anyone interested in the fast paced world of healthcare. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics opportunities for registered nurses (RN) will continue to grow at a rate of 22% through the year 2020.
The average RN salary in Washington is $75,450 annually and the average entry level RN salary is $44,000 annually. Salaries will vary throughout the state and RNs will find slightly higher salaries in major metropolitan areas. RNs who elevate to positions of administration or supervision will find the average salaries to be about $120,000 annually. In addition to salary, RNs will often find other benefits offered as part of the total compensation package and may include health and dental care, short and/or long term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement and retirement contributions. Employers may also offer employees a signing bonus and salary increases based on performance rather than just cost of living.
RN candidates are required to successfully complete a nursing program approved by the Washington State Board of Nursing and earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing. An Associate’s degree takes two years to complete. It is important to note RNs who wish to pursue advanced practice nursing will be required to earn a Master’s degree in nursing in the area of specialty desired.
After the educational requirements have been met, the candidate will be required to pass the licensing exam. The application to test will include a criminal background and fingerprint check, identification, and an electronic certificate of completion from the nursing school attended. An official transcript will be submitted to the Board once the applicant passes the licensing exam. The application will be sent to the Nursing Commission and the appropriate fee will be sent to the Washington Department of Health.
After the application to test is sent to the Nursing Commission, the applicant is required to register with Pearson VUE to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN), the state mandated licensing exam. The Nursing Commission will notify Pearson VUE when the review of the application is complete and Pearson VUE will issue the applicant an authorization to test (ATT). As soon as the ATT is received, the applicant can schedule a date to take the NCLEX-RN. The Nursing Commission is notified of the results 24 hours after taking the exam and in turn notifies the applicant of pass or fail. When the applicant passes the exam, an RN license will be issued and a hard copy will be sent to the newly licensed RN in 7 10 business days.
Washington RNs are required to renew their license every year. Every three years RNs will be required to sign an attestation to demonstrate they are in compliance with the requirements for nursing practice and continuing education hours. The requirements include 45 hours of continuing education hours and 531 hours of active practice every three years. Active practice can be paid employment or unpaid or volunteer service performing the duties of an RN. Beginning in 2014, the Nursing Commission will begin random audits for compliance. RN licenses expire on the RNs birthday.
Once the RN is properly licensed, they will find employment in facilities such as rehabilitative centers, occupational healthcare facilities, nursing homes, hospitals, assisted care facilities and educational and government facilities. RNs will also find employment with amateur and professional sports leagues, traveling nurse agencies, temporary staffing agencies, visiting nurse and hospice care organizations, recreational and vacation venues and insurance companies.
RN duties will depend on the facility or type of employment engaged, but typical RN duties include performing emergency procedures, conducting diagnostic testing, completing patient history, formulating, initiating and monitoring patient care and treatment plans, coordinating healthcare with other departments and facilities, dispensing medication including injections and monitoring reaction, dressing wounds and changing dressings, supervising the nursing staff including certified nursing assistants and provide information and understanding of treatment, care and procedures to the patient and family members.
Schools With RN Programs in Washington
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education