Training to Become an RN in West Virginia
The field of nursing is projected to expand through the year 2020. The opportunities for registered nurses (RN)will increase as the senior population experiences greater longevity and requires health care for longer periods of time. Nursing is the area of healthcare expanding quickly and qualified RNs are always needed to meet the demands.
Becoming a registered nurse in West Virginia requires the candidate to complete a nursing program approved by the West Virginia Board of Nursing (WVBON). The program will include class work and clinical training and must result in a minimum of an Associate’s degree in nursing.
Once the candidate meets the educational qualifications, the next step is the licensing process. RNs are required to be licensed, according to state law, before practicing nursing on any level. The National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) is a national, standard nursing test taken by all nursing students in the United States. Candidates must pass the exam with a score of at least 75%.
Nursing graduates are required to apply to the WVBON to take the NCLEX-RN and the application includes a criminal background and fingerprint check, an affidavit from the nursing school certifying the applicant has successfully completed the nursing requirements and the degree earned. Applicants must also provide a signed affidavit from a person they have known for at least five years certifying their good moral character. At the time of application to test is submitted, the applicant must also register with Pearson VUE Testing Services, the entity that administers the exam. Separate fees are due to the WVBON and Pearson VUE.
The applicant will have the option to apply for a temporary RN license to allow the applicant to begin employment while working through the exam process. The beginning of nursing employment is defined as orientation orientation. The temporary license is valid for 90 days, or until the pass or fail results are received. If the applicant fails the exam, employment must terminate immediately.
The Board will review the application and the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT in hand the applicant has the necessary permission to contact Pearson VUE and schedule the exam. The applicant will be notified of the pass or fail results following the exam. Applicants who pass the exam will be issued an RN license and applicants who fail will receive an application to take the exam again after a 45 day waiting period.
RNs are required to renew their license every year and all RN licenses expire on 31 October. RNs must complete 30 approved contact hours of continuing education every two renewal periods, with at least three hours in drug diversion training and best practice prescription of controlled substances for the first license renewal round. Beginning with the second license renewal RNs will be required to complete one hour in drug diversion education.
The average RN salary in West Virginia is $57,500 annually. The average entry level starting salary for an RN is $38,000 annually. The average salary for RNs in a supervisory or administrative position is $93,000. Actual salaries will vary depending on the area of nursing, geographic location, type of facility where employed, years of experience and level of education achieved. In addition to salary, RNs may receive as part of a compensation package, health insurance benefits, life insurance, short and/or long term insurance, retirement contributions and tuition reimbursement consideration.
Nursing duties vary depending on type of facility, but typical duties include completing patient history, establishing care and treatment plans for patients, educating patients and family members about the patient’s condition and care plan, conduct diagnostic testing, dispense medication according to plan, perform emergency procedures, coordinate care with other healthcare specialists and supervise the nursing staff.
RNs will find employment in private duty care, especially home care, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, temporary healthcare staffing agencies, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care centers, rehabilitative facilities, occupational healthcare centers, government and educational facilities, private and public clinics, doctors offices and seasonal recreational and vacation venues.
Schools With RN Programs in West Virginia
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...