Training to Become an RN in Wyoming
Nursing is a fast pace paced career choice in healthcare. There are day to day challenges to the job that keep nursing interesting and those challenges will be successfully negotiated with the right education and training. The opportunities in the field of nursing are expanding as technology advances creating more healthcare options. The senior population, experiencing greater longevity, require healthcare for longer periods of their life. The need for qualified registered nurses (RN) will continue to rise by an aggressive rate through the year 2020.
The average annual RN salary is $58,500 and the average entry level, starting salary is $39,750. RNs employed in major cities will realize a slightly higher average salary. Areas of administration and supervision will offer higher average RN salaries, usually $91,000. RNs can maximize salary by pursuing higher education and training in areas of specialized nursing.
Becoming an RN in Wyoming includes completing a nursing program approved by the Wyoming Board of Nursing (WBON) and passing the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). RN candidates must earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing to be eligible to take the exam. The nursing program requirements include class work and clinical training, and an Associate’s degree program typically takes two years to complete. The passing score for the NCLEX-RN is 75%.
After completing the educational requirements, the graduate submits an application to test to the WBON. The application will include a criminal background and fingerprint check, a 2”x2” photograph taken no more than six months prior to the time of application, an official transcript received directly from the nursing school along with the required fee. The graduate is also required to register with Pearson VUE Testing Services to take the exam.
Once the board has reviewed and approved the application to test, the applicant will be issued an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant has 90 days to contact Pearson VUE and schedule and sit for the NCLEX-RN. The applicant may also apply to the Board for a temporary work permit that will allow the candidate to pursue employment while in the exam mode. The request can be accomplished by checking the appropriate box on the application to test. The temporary permit will be valid for three months.
The applicant will be notified of the exam results by postal mail and the results will also be posted on the WBON web page. Applicants who pass the exam will be issued an RN license and applicants who fail the exam will be given an application to take the exam again. A candidate can take the exam up to 10 times in the five year period following graduation.
RNs in Wyoming are required to renew their license every two years. RNs must meet one of the following to renew a license: complete 500 hours of nursing practice within the two year renewal period, complete 1,600 hours of nursing practice within the previous five years, complete 20 continue education hours within the renewal period or complete a re-entry or refresher program within the previous five years. RN licenses expire on 31 October of odd number years.
Employment for RNs can be found in a variety of areas and facilities including temporary healthcare staffing agencies, traveling nurse agencies, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, RN and Ask a Nurse call in centers and teaching. RN opportunities are also found at hospitals and nursing homes, rehabilitative and occupational healthcare centers, schools, government facilities, vacation and recreational venues, amateur and professional sports organizations, large manufacturing facilities and insurance companies.
The duties an RN undertakes often varies according to the job and facility where employed. Typical duties include completing patient history, monitoring vital signs, performing emergency procedures, conducting diagnostic testing, preparing, implementing and monitoring patient care and treatment plans, dispensing medication according to the treatment plan and monitoring patient reaction, providing information to family members, coordinating care and treatment with other departments and personnel and supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA).
Schools With RN Programs in Wyoming
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education