Training to Become an RN in Wyoming
Nursing is a fast pace paced career choice in healthcare. There are day to day challenges to the job that keep nursing interesting and those challenges will be successfully negotiated with the right education and training. The opportunities in the field of nursing are expanding as technology advances creating more healthcare options. The senior population, experiencing greater longevity, require healthcare for longer periods of their life. The need for qualified registered nurses (RN) will continue to rise by an aggressive rate through the year 2020.
The average annual RN salary is $58,500 and the average entry level, starting salary is $39,750. RNs employed in major cities will realize a slightly higher average salary. Areas of administration and supervision will offer higher average RN salaries, usually $91,000. RNs can maximize salary by pursuing higher education and training in areas of specialized nursing.
Becoming an RN in Wyoming includes completing a nursing program approved by the Wyoming Board of Nursing (WBON) and passing the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). RN candidates must earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing to be eligible to take the exam. The nursing program requirements include class work and clinical training, and an Associate’s degree program typically takes two years to complete. The passing score for the NCLEX-RN is 75%.
After completing the educational requirements, the graduate submits an application to test to the WBON. The application will include a criminal background and fingerprint check, a 2”x2” photograph taken no more than six months prior to the time of application, an official transcript received directly from the nursing school along with the required fee. The graduate is also required to register with Pearson VUE Testing Services to take the exam.
Once the board has reviewed and approved the application to test, the applicant will be issued an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant has 90 days to contact Pearson VUE and schedule and sit for the NCLEX-RN. The applicant may also apply to the Board for a temporary work permit that will allow the candidate to pursue employment while in the exam mode. The request can be accomplished by checking the appropriate box on the application to test. The temporary permit will be valid for three months.
The applicant will be notified of the exam results by postal mail and the results will also be posted on the WBON web page. Applicants who pass the exam will be issued an RN license and applicants who fail the exam will be given an application to take the exam again. A candidate can take the exam up to 10 times in the five year period following graduation.
RNs in Wyoming are required to renew their license every two years. RNs must meet one of the following to renew a license: complete 500 hours of nursing practice within the two year renewal period, complete 1,600 hours of nursing practice within the previous five years, complete 20 continue education hours within the renewal period or complete a re-entry or refresher program within the previous five years. RN licenses expire on 31 October of odd number years.
Employment for RNs can be found in a variety of areas and facilities including temporary healthcare staffing agencies, traveling nurse agencies, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, RN and Ask a Nurse call in centers and teaching. RN opportunities are also found at hospitals and nursing homes, rehabilitative and occupational healthcare centers, schools, government facilities, vacation and recreational venues, amateur and professional sports organizations, large manufacturing facilities and insurance companies.
The duties an RN undertakes often varies according to the job and facility where employed. Typical duties include completing patient history, monitoring vital signs, performing emergency procedures, conducting diagnostic testing, preparing, implementing and monitoring patient care and treatment plans, dispensing medication according to the treatment plan and monitoring patient reaction, providing information to family members, coordinating care and treatment with other departments and personnel and supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA).
Schools With RN Programs in Wyoming
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...