Training to Become an RN in Wyoming
Nursing is a fast pace paced career choice in healthcare. There are day to day challenges to the job that keep nursing interesting and those challenges will be successfully negotiated with the right education and training. The opportunities in the field of nursing are expanding as technology advances creating more healthcare options. The senior population, experiencing greater longevity, require healthcare for longer periods of their life. The need for qualified registered nurses (RN) will continue to rise by an aggressive rate through the year 2020.
The average annual RN salary is $58,500 and the average entry level, starting salary is $39,750. RNs employed in major cities will realize a slightly higher average salary. Areas of administration and supervision will offer higher average RN salaries, usually $91,000. RNs can maximize salary by pursuing higher education and training in areas of specialized nursing.
Becoming an RN in Wyoming includes completing a nursing program approved by the Wyoming Board of Nursing (WBON) and passing the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). RN candidates must earn at least an Associate’s degree in nursing to be eligible to take the exam. The nursing program requirements include class work and clinical training, and an Associate’s degree program typically takes two years to complete. The passing score for the NCLEX-RN is 75%.
After completing the educational requirements, the graduate submits an application to test to the WBON. The application will include a criminal background and fingerprint check, a 2”x2” photograph taken no more than six months prior to the time of application, an official transcript received directly from the nursing school along with the required fee. The graduate is also required to register with Pearson VUE Testing Services to take the exam.
Once the board has reviewed and approved the application to test, the applicant will be issued an authorization to test (ATT). The applicant has 90 days to contact Pearson VUE and schedule and sit for the NCLEX-RN. The applicant may also apply to the Board for a temporary work permit that will allow the candidate to pursue employment while in the exam mode. The request can be accomplished by checking the appropriate box on the application to test. The temporary permit will be valid for three months.
The applicant will be notified of the exam results by postal mail and the results will also be posted on the WBON web page. Applicants who pass the exam will be issued an RN license and applicants who fail the exam will be given an application to take the exam again. A candidate can take the exam up to 10 times in the five year period following graduation.
RNs in Wyoming are required to renew their license every two years. RNs must meet one of the following to renew a license: complete 500 hours of nursing practice within the two year renewal period, complete 1,600 hours of nursing practice within the previous five years, complete 20 continue education hours within the renewal period or complete a re-entry or refresher program within the previous five years. RN licenses expire on 31 October of odd number years.
Employment for RNs can be found in a variety of areas and facilities including temporary healthcare staffing agencies, traveling nurse agencies, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, RN and Ask a Nurse call in centers and teaching. RN opportunities are also found at hospitals and nursing homes, rehabilitative and occupational healthcare centers, schools, government facilities, vacation and recreational venues, amateur and professional sports organizations, large manufacturing facilities and insurance companies.
The duties an RN undertakes often varies according to the job and facility where employed. Typical duties include completing patient history, monitoring vital signs, performing emergency procedures, conducting diagnostic testing, preparing, implementing and monitoring patient care and treatment plans, dispensing medication according to the treatment plan and monitoring patient reaction, providing information to family members, coordinating care and treatment with other departments and personnel and supervising the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNA).
Schools With RN Programs in Wyoming
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Respiratory Therapy (RRT to BSRT)
Train for careers that are in-demand and where your success is the number one priority. IBMC College’s small class sizes, caring staff and experienced instructors will provide you with an extra level of support and personalized attention.
At locally owned and nationally accredited IBMC College, you can train for a rewarding career in as little as 6 to 19 months. With 3 northern Colorado campuses to choose from and a variety of diploma and degree program options, you’ll find the path that is the right fit for you.
- Clinical Medical Assisting Diploma
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!